Most people don’t know there’s a really simple way to free up more money for savings — and it doesn’t require making huge lifestyle sacrifices. The trick is to stop throwing money away on interest payments.
Credit card companies are offering really favorable terms on balance transfers right now. Take the Discover it® 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer. It gives you an 18-month 0% intro APR period — one of the longest out there.
If you have decent credit, now’s the best time to put it to work for savings. Bring your credit card interest costs down to zero when you transfer a balance to a new 0% intro APR offer. From there, each payment you make goes directly toward paying down your debt, and not monthly interest. To pay off a $10,000 balance, that would mean savings of $1,000+ in interest in just a year and a half. That’s a nice chunk of cash you can put toward savings instead.
The secret to saving more money is mostly just being smarter about how you spend your money. Cutting out interest payments is one of the easiest (and most painless!) ways to do this. To get you started saving, here’s a simple head-to-head comparison of two of the best balance transfer cards available today.
Discover it® 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer
The Discover it® 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer has the longest 0% intro APR of our top-ranked balance transfer cards. This card also delivers big on cash back rewards for all of the new purchases you make with the card. Earn 5% cash back on quarterly rotating categories, plus 1% cashback on everything else year-round.
But that’s not all. Discover also doubles the cash back you earn during your first year as a cardholder. That means if you earn $150 in cashback, you’ll get another $150 on top of that — that’s $300 total cash back in one year. The more cash back you earn in your first year, the bigger your year-end cash back bonus.
Pros: You get an extra-long 0% Intro APR that lasts 18 months, plus earn 5% cash back on new purchases in rotating categories.
Con: You must pay a balance transfer fee of 3% of your transfer amount or $5, whichever is greater.
- Intro Balance Transfer APR
- 0% for 18 months
- Balance Transfer Fee
- Regular APR
- 11.99% – 23.99% Variable
- New! We’ll monitor your Social Security Number. Get an alert if we find your Social Security Number on any of thousands of risky websites.* Activate for FREE.
- You could turn $150 into $300 with Cashback Match™. Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter like gas stations, Amazon.com, restaurants, wholesale clubs and more, up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your FICO® Credit Score for free on monthly statements, on mobile and online.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information.
One thing to keep in mind is that most card issuers won’t allow you to transfer a balance from one of their cards to another (from Chase Freedom® to Chase Slate®, for example). That’s why it pays to know what the best offers are. You’ll maximize your balance transfer savings this way and figure out which card will actually work best for your personal situation.
The Discover it® 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer has the best deal with its extra-long 0% intro APR period, and the Chase Slate® lets you transfer your balances for free during the first 60 days–a huge benefit for savings. You can also check out our full list of the Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards for 2017 to compare other great offers — and find the one that fits your needs best.