When it comes to paying off high interest credit card debt, you might be surprised to hear that a credit card might be the key to your success. However, some credit cards give you introductory 0% interest for anywhere from 6 to 21 months. Used wisely, that is often enough time to pay down your debts once and for all. With the Chase Slate® card, save with a $0 introductory balance transfer fee, 0% introductory APR for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers, and $0 annual fee. Plus, receive your Monthly FICO® Score for free.
Perhaps the best advantage of the Chase Slate® is that it does not charge a balance transfer fee for the first 60 days of account opening. Most other balance transfer cards charge a fee equal to 3-5% of your balance just to move it to their card. With this feature, it’s easy to see how the Chase Slate® card offers a substantial savings right off the bat.
The Simple Dollar’s Key Takeaways
- No balance transfer fee for the first 60 days. Most balance transfer cards charge a balance transfer fee equal to 3 – 5% of your balance up front. The Chase Slate® card bucks this trend by offering fee-free transfers for the first 60 days after you get your card.
- You get 0% APR for a full 15 months. Paying down debt can be a long and grueling process. The Chase Slate® card offers longer than a year to pay down your high interest balances with 0% APR.
- No annual fee – ever. This card will never charge an annual fee, meaning you can secure all of these benefits without paying for the privilege. This makes it possible to down debt and get your finances straight without any out-of-pocket cost.
Review: The Perfect Tool to Get Out of Debt
The Chase Slate® is the single best tool to help you get out of debt once and for all. Avoiding that balance transfer fee is a huge step in the right direction. In fact, it helps you pay off debt faster since your initial payments will go directly towards the balance you transferred which will already be at the best interest rate anyone can secure – 0% intro APR.
In 2015, the Chase Slate® also rolled out a new credit dashboard aimed at helping consumers track their FICO scores, understand the information that goes on their credit report, and discover the attributes that affect their overall credit health. This dashboard is offered free as a member perk, and can be accessed through online account management.
Note: Although the Chase Slate® card still offers the most value among balance transfer cards, we recently became aware of the fact that you cannot transfer the balance from another Chase card to the Chase Slate®. This news comes straight from the terms and conditions: “We will not process any balance transfer requests that are from any other account or loan that we (Chase Bank USA, N.A.) or any of our affiliates issued.”
Chase Slate® Details
How it works
Chase Slate® allows you to transfer balances with no fee if done within the first 60 days of opening your account. On top of that, you receive a 0% intro APR for your first 15 months. If you have multiple high interest credit card balances, Chase Slate® makes it easy to consolidate all of your balances in one place with 0% intro APR for 15 months. And since you won’t pay a balance transfer fee for any of those transactions, you can start saving on interest right away.
Chase Slate® Blueprint®
Beyond the introductory APR, the Chase Slate® card also offers a variety of tools that can help you gain better control of your finances. One of those tools is Chase Blueprint®, an interactive online interface that can help you see your finances in a whole new way. Once you become acclimated to your new Chase Slate® card, you can personalize Blueprint to best fit your needs. Blueprint® is a customizable tool with four plans to help you achieve your financial goals. You can set up one or more plans at a time, including:
- Full Pay℠: With Full Pay, you determine which everyday categories of spending you don’t want to pay interest on each month. Your account activity will automatically designate these amounts to be paid in full each month even if you’re carrying a balance (not recommended) on other items.
- Split℠: With Split, you choose any recent large purchase and Blueprint will help you develop a specific plan to pay it off in specified increments within a timeframe that you predetermine.
- Finish It℠: With Finish It, you select the amount you want paid down on your lingering balance. You determine the amount of time you need to pay the balance down and Blueprint will set up the payment plan.
- Track It℠: With Track It, you set up spending goals throughout various categories and easily track your progress. This is an awesome integrated budgeting tool that will feed your direct spending into your budgeting plans.
Once you set up your Blueprint® plan, you will see your Blueprint statement, which includes an easy-to-read breakdown of each plan with the following helpful tools:
- Fully Pay℠ plan statement will show the number of transactions as well as the total spend in each category. It also puts your spending data in an easy-to-read bar chart so you can easily monitor when your peak spending times are throughout the year for purchases within those categories.
- Split℠ plan and Finish It℠ plan statements will show you a snapshot of a designated purchase or balance, including the original amount, monthly scheduled payment amount, number of remaining payments, remaining balance, and projected payoff date. It also includes an updated progress bar that displays the percentage of total payment completion.
- For Track It℠ plan, you’ll have to log in to your account to track your progress against your established budget since it updates based on all purchases rather than on a monthly basis.
Chase Slate® Fraud Protection
In addition to the many features offered through Chase Blueprint®, Chase Slate® also offers an exceptional consumer-protection suite with the use of their credit cards. These extra safety features provide an extra barrier of protection against likely perpetrators of fraud and identity theft.
You’ll receive excellent protection, including:
- Fraud Protection: Chase’s fraud protection constantly monitors your account for suspicious activity.
- Fraud Alerts: After registering for Fraud Alerts, you can receive warning of potential fraudulent activity via phone, text, or email.
- Zero Liability Protection: You are not held accountable for any unauthorized purchases on your account.
- Purchase Protection: When you make a purchase on your Chase Slate® card, it is covered against damage or theft up to $500 per claim and $50,000 per account for the next 120 days.
Chase Slate®: Where It Falls Flat
It’s hard to fault the Chase Slate® for anything, but there is one area where it falls short of some other balance transfer credit cards. Where the Chase Slate® card offers 15 months with 0% APR, some other cards on the market offer that benefit for as long as 21 months.
If you’re carrying a lot of high interest credit card debt, you might need that extra time to pay it down. You’ll pay a balance transfer fee equal to 3 – 5 percent of your balance with other cards, but the interest savings you’ll earn during those additional months could more than make up for it.
Another area where the Chase Slate® card falls short is in its rewards program – as in, it doesn’t have one. If you’re not in debt and want a card that lets you earn cash back or points for travel, you’d be much better off choosing a card with a rewards program.
Who This Card is Good For:
- Anyone carrying high interest debts with a bank other than Chase
- Someone who doesn’t want to pay an annual fee
- Someone who wants to make large purchase and pay it down over 15 months with 0% APR
Who Should Pass:
- Anyone who needs a balance transfer from a different Chase credit card
- Someone who isn’t in debt
- People who might benefit more from a rewards credit card
How Does It Compare to Other Balance Transfer Credit Cards
If you’re considering other credit cards in addition to the Chase Slate® card, the Citi® Diamond Preferred® credit card is another that should be on your list. With this card, you’ll get a full 21 months with 0% APR.
|Citi® Diamond Preferred Card®||Chase Slate® card|
|Introductory Offer||0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 21 months||0% intro APR on balance transfers and purchases for 15 months|
|Balance Transfer Fee||$5 or 3% of your balance, whichever is greater||No balance transfer fee for the first 60 days of account opening, 5% or $5 after that|
|Travel Benefits||Travel and emergency service, trip cancellation and interruption insurance, worldwide travel accident insurance, worldwide rental car coverage, and Citi® Private Pass® VIP concierge services||None|
As you can see, both cards offer similar benefits in terms of 0% APR. The biggest difference is that the Citi® Diamond Preferred® credit card offers 21 months with 0% APR but charges a balance transfer fee, while the Chase Slate® card only offers 15 months at 0% APR but doesn’t charge a fee for the first 60 days.
Neither card is necessarily better than the other, but it’s important to keep these key details in mind. The card best for your needs will depend on how much debt you have to pay off, your interest rate, and how much time you need.
Best Strategy with the Chase Slate® card
Since the Chase Slate® card lets you transfer balances without a balance transfer fee for the first 60 days of account opening, you will benefit the most by using this card to get out of debt. Transfer as many high interest balances to the card as you can and work diligently to pay them off as quickly as possible. With 0% intro APR for 15 months, you may have enough time to become completely debt-free.
Once you become debt-free and get into the habit of paying your balance in full each month, you should consider a rewards card that doesn’t charge an annual fee. A good option is the Chase Freedom® card which offers 5% back on bonus categories that change every quarter and 1% on everything else.
Here are a few more tips that can help you maximize this card’s benefits:
- Transfer any balances from accounts with above a 0% introductory APR within your first 60 days of opening the Chase Slate® card
- Set up your personalized Blueprint to stop paying interest on everyday purchases, pay off large purchases more quickly, pay off a balance, or help stay on your targeted budget.
Want Rewards? Consider This Card Instead
Still not sold on the Chase Slate®? You might want to consider the Discover it® 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer instead. With this card, you’ll get 18 months with 0% intro APR. Plus, you’ll be able to earn rewards on your everyday spending if you use your card for regular purchases.
You will need to pay a balance transfer fee if you go this route, but the rewards you earn can more than make up for it. At the end of the day, which card is best for you depends on your debt, your goals, and how you plan to use your card. The right answer is different for everyone.
Discover it® 18 Month Balance Transfer Offer
Card Highlights Provided by Discover:
- New! We’ll monitor your Social Security Number. Get an alert if we find your Social Security Number on any of thousands of risky websites.* Activate for FREE.
- You could turn $150 into $300 with Cashback Match™. Get a dollar-for-dollar match of all the cash back you’ve earned at the end of your first year, automatically.
- Earn 5% cash back in rotating categories each quarter like gas stations, Amazon.com, restaurants, wholesale clubs and more, up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. Plus, 1% cash back on all other purchases.
- Redeem your cash back for any amount, any time. Cash rewards never expire.
- 100% U.S. based customer service.
- Get your FICO® Credit Score for free on monthly statements, on mobile and online.
- No annual fee.
- Click "APPLY NOW" to see rates, rewards, FICO® Credit Score terms, Cashback Match™ details & other information.
Best Balance Transfer Credit Card Directory
If you want to compare other balance transfer offers, take a look at our in-depth reviews of the Best Balance Transfer Credit Cards. Comparing all of the available offers side-by-side might help you decide which offer is truly best for your unique situation.
In addition, you can browse our entire credit card directory below to search for what matters to you.
Sort, filter, or search for what matters most to find the best balance transfer credit card for you.
Rewards Tier Level
Great Signup Bonus
Great Ongoing Rewards
Balance Transfer Fee 3% or lower
Intro Balance Transfer APR 0% 12+ Months
Only Fair Credit Score Needed
About this resource:
Created on: April 08, 2016
Updated on: August 04, 2017
Edited by: Sarah Ban
Research by: Heather Catalano, Mike Jelinek