If you're a fan of plastic payments, it may be difficult to imagine a world without credit cards. It's no wonder they are such an ingrained part of society. Credit cards have been around for nearly a century! Credit cards were first introduced in the 1920s by merchants offering customers an alternative payment method at their store. It was an...
|Intro APR Promotions||
- Your Full Service Reloadable Prepaid Account (This product is not a credit card.)
- No credit check. No minimum balance. No hidden fees.
- Get a $50 credit after receiving $250+ twice via Direct Deposit by 12/31/13*
- Get free cash withdrawals at over 23,000 MoneyPass® ATMs nationwide
- Shop online or off and get access to membership benefits like Purchase Protection
- Use the Mobile App* to manage your money, pay bills and more
- Enroll in Direct Deposit to get your paycheck in your American Express Serve Account on payday.
- No need to use a check. Email money to anyone with an American Express Serve Account (even if they don't have the same bank as you).
- Enjoy American Express service and security 24/7
- *Terms, conditions and exclusions apply.
Poor Credit Accepted
- No annual fees
- No fees for purchases with the card
- No fees for ATM withdrawals, so long as you sign up for direct deposit and use a MoneyPass™ ATM
- Excellent cardholder perks like roadside assistance and purchase protection
- $2 fees for ATM withdrawals if you don't use MoneyPass™ ATMs or have direct deposit
The Simple Dollar’s Review
In addition to avoiding many of the annoying little fees that accompany prepaid cards, American Express® Serve offers a nice package of unique perks. As a cardholder you get up to 90-day theft or damage insurance on many qualified purchases, as well as free roadside assistance. There aren’t any fixed monthly fees, or charges for direct deposit or purchases with the card. As far as prepaid cards go, this one stands out among the rest; most charge a few bucks per month for fees and purchases.
One area where you may get hit with a fee is with ATM withdrawals, but even these can be avoided with a little planning. If you are direct depositing your paycheck onto your card, you’re eligible for free ATM withdrawals from any MoneyPass™ Network ATM.
Lastly, like most prepaid cards, it’s simple and free to move money from one account to another, making it an ideal tool for sharing money among relatives or immediate family members. And the American Express® Serve offers even more options than most: you can transfer money even to people without an American Express® Serve by making transfers right into their banking accounts.
If for any reason you won’t be using a bank, a prepaid card is your best option for managing your money, and this card is arguable the best option available to you.
It's often hard to believe your credit card bill actually reflects the amount of money you've spent. "How did I spend so much?" you ask yourself. While unrecognized charges may very well be forgotten shopping sprees, that's not usually the case. If something looks fishy on your bill, it's worth investigating. Perhaps that $400 dinner has one too many zeroes....