The Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card is a versatile cashback card that offers 3% back on Amazon purchases; 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores; and 1% back everywhere else. It’s one of a few cashback cards that doesn’t rely on rotating rewards categories or spending caps, which saves you the inconvenience of having to sign up for bonus rewards every quarter and increases your earning potential significantly. There’s no annual fee and you get a $30 Amazon gift card just for signing up.
However, there are better options for those looking to just maximize their Amazon rewards, like the Amazon.com Store Card. (This card can only be used on Amazon, though, and you must be a Prime member to apply.) The Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card is appealing because it offers great rewards and you can use it anywhere you want. Even though you’re earning a little less cash back on Amazon, you’re making up for it by earning rewards on your everyday purchases.
High-Earning Cash Back Card with Great Amazon Rewards
The Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card offers 3% cash back on Amazon purchases; 2% back at drugstores, gas stations, and restaurants; and 1% back everywhere else. Compared to most cashback cards, this is a very high reward rate, especially considering there’s no annual fee. This card doesn’t use rotating rewards categories, which is a plus for those who dislike having to sign up for the rewards each quarter. It also doesn’t have any spending caps, so no matter how much you purchase, you’ll continue earning your 3% back on Amazon.
Its signup bonus is nothing special compared to most cashback cards. You only receive a $30 Amazon gift card. However, you don’t have to do anything to earn this bonus. It will show up in your account as soon as your application is approved.
While there are other credit cards out there that offer better Amazon rewards, including the Amazon.com Store Card, the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card’s value is in its versatility. It’s a good fit for those who frequently shop on Amazon, but want to earn rewards on their other purchases as well. If you prefer to have one credit card that you use for everything, the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card is a good choice.
- Great rewards program. With this card, you’ll earn 3% cash back on all Amazon purchases; 2% at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores; and 1% everywhere else. Unlike most cashback programs, there are no rotating categories to sign up for or spending caps that limit your earning potential. You can earn these rewards on all your purchases all year round.
- No annual fee. The Amazon.com Rewards Visa card has no annual fee, so you don’t have to pay for the privilege of owning it.
Where it Falls Flat
Regular Amazon shoppers who want to maximize their rewards will have better luck with the Amazon.com Store Card. It offers 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases. The downside is you can only use it on Amazon. The other drawback is that only Amazon Prime members are eligible for the Amazon.com Store Card. A Prime membership costs $99 per year, and if you don’t shop on Amazon often, it may be hard to justify paying that much for an extra 2% in rewards. Before you apply, make sure you’re going to spend enough in order to make this card worth the investment.
If you’re looking for a single rewards card that you can use everywhere, you’re much better off sticking with the Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card. The extra rewards you can earn on your everyday spending should make up for the lesser rewards earned on Amazon purchases.
Who It’s Good For / Who Should Pass
Frequent Amazon shoppers
Those who only want one credit card they can use for everything
Those who don’t want an annual fee
Prime members who want to maximize their Amazon Rewards
How it Compares
- Amazon.com Store Card: The Amazon.com Store Card offers 5% cash back on all Amazon purchases, making it a top choice for those who do the bulk of their shopping on Amazon. You have to be a Prime member in order to apply, and this membership costs $99 per year. This card isn’t a good fit if you’re looking for a flexible rewards card you can use anywhere. It can only be used on Amazon purchases, so you’ll have to have a separate card to use elsewhere.
- Chase Freedom®: The Chase Freedom® card offers 5% cash back on rotating categories each quarter (up to $1,500) and 1% cash back on everything else. It also offers a nice signup bonus of $150 after you spend $500 within the first three months of account opening. There’s no annual fee and your rewards won’t expire as long as your account is active. Its one drawback is that you’re not automatically enrolled in the bonus rewards categories. You have to go into your account and manually activate these each quarter.
- Discover it® Cash Back: Earn 5% cash back at different places each quarter like gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, Amazon.com, or wholesale clubs up to the quarterly maximum each time you activate. You also earn 1% unlimited cash back automatically on all other purchases. It matches all the cash back you earn in your first year of account opening, which is a deal you won’t find with most other rewards cards. There’s no annual fee and your rewards don’t expire as long as you keep your account open.
The Amazon.com Rewards Visa Card is a great fit if you’re a frequent Amazon shopper looking for a single cash back card you can use everywhere. The lack of spending caps and rotating rewards categories set it apart from many of its competitors and could significantly increase the amount of rewards you earn.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our rankings and recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.