Amica’s unmatched customer service and flexible policies make it one of the top choices for homeowners insurance in the country.
Amica builds its business around customer service, which has earned it numerous awards over the years from J.D. Power, Consumer Reports, and others. Its claims handling is regarded as being among the best in the industry. Unlike many insurers, Amica allows you to choose your own contractor, but it can also assist you in locating one through its approved network. If you happen to choose a contractor from Amica’s network, the repairs will come with a limited warranty.
Amica’s home insurance rates are reasonable, but how much you’ll pay depends on a variety of factors, including how much coverage you need, and for what. The company offers several optional coverages, including earthquake and flood insurance, identity theft protection, and extra coverage for expensive personal items like jewelry or art. If any of your personal property is damaged or destroyed, Amica will pay the full replacement cost, regardless of depreciation.
Find the Best Home Insurance
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.
|Price||Varies by location, home, and other factors|
|Best For||Those who place a high value on customer service|
|States Served||49 (not available in Hawaii)|
Automatic detection device
Automatic payment plan
|A.M. Best Rating||A++|
|Standout Features||Excellent customer service
Easy to customize coverage
Nice selection of discounts
Amica puts the customer first. It offers affordable rates, flexible coverage, and efficient claims handling, all backed by the company’s award-winning customer service. No matter when you need assistance, Amica will be there to help shoulder the burden and get your life — and your home — back in order.
Is it True?
Yes. Amica was the only company to receive a five-star customer satisfaction rating in J.D. Power’s 2017 Homeowners Insurance Survey, where it nabbed the top spot for the 16th straight year. It also took top honors in J.D. Power’s Property Insurance Claims Study for the sixth consecutive year.
In an industry not known for customer satisfaction, this should not be overlooked. Everyone hopes they won’t have to deal with their insurance company again once they’ve paid their premiums, but should that become necessary, you want a company that looks out for you, and Amica consistently delivers on this promise.
Though it’s impossible to predict how much an Amica home insurance policy will cost without getting a quote, rates are generally affordable, and there are several discounts to help you save. Amica also offers unique dividend policies. These cost more upfront, but your money is invested, so at the end of the term a dividend is refunded to you. No other insurer offers this option, so if it’s something you’re interested in, Amica is worth a closer look.
In addition to the basic coverages, Amica offers extras like flood and earthquake insurance, home business coverage, identity theft insurance, and personal property replacement. These are optional coverages, however, so if you want them, you’ll have to pay extra. They won’t appeal to everyone, but if you don’t think a basic homeowners policy provides enough protection for what you need, these optional add-ons give you the flexibility to design coverage that suits you.
Our Deep Dive
- Top-notch customer service: Amica leads the industry in terms of customer service. Claims are handled promptly, so you can get damages fixed as quickly as possible. Representatives are standing by 24/7 to answer your questions, or assist you with filing a claim, too.
- Good selection of discounts: Amica gives you several ways to save on your homeowners insurance, including bundling your home and auto policies, remaining claim-free, and signing up for automatic payments. Owning a new or remodeled home, installing a home security system, and choosing paperless documents will also lead to savings.
- Earthquake and flood insurance: If you live in an area prone to earthquakes or floods, you can get the protection you need through Amica. These are optional coverages, however, so if you want them, it’ll cost extra.
- Protect your personal property: Amica covers all of your personal possessions and will pay the full replacement cost of each item up to your policy limit, regardless of depreciation.
- Get help finding a contractor: Amica allows you to choose any contractor you like, but it can also point you to qualified professionals in your area if you need assistance. If you choose a contractor that belongs to this program, repairs will be covered by a limited warranty, so you won’t have to pay again if something goes wrong with the repair.
- Purchase extra protection: Amica enables you to purchase optional coverage to pay for expenses in case repairs end up exceeding your standard policy’s limit.
- Coverage for credit cards: If your credit cards are lost or stolen, Amica will reimburse you up to your policy’s limit for fraudulent charges on your account.
- Home business coverage: If you operate a business out of your home, Amica’s Home Business coverage protects your computer, office supplies, and other business items.
- Mobile policy access: Using Amica’s mobile apps for Android and iOS devices, customers can pay bills, access policy documents, and file a claim. You can also view home loss checklists and contact an Amica representative directly from the app.
- Receive dividends: Amica offers dividend policies to its home, auto, marine, and umbrella policy customers. These policies cost more upfront, but at the end of your term, you’ll get part of the money refunded to you. Though dividends aren’t guaranteed, in most cases, you’ll get about 20 percent of your money back.
- Extra coverage for expensive items: If you own a lot of expensive jewelry, or you’re a collector of fine art, you can purchase optional coverage for these valuable items to ensure you receive the full replacement cost in the event of a disaster.
- Identity theft protection: Amica’s identity theft coverage pairs you with a dedicated expert who will help you with the lengthy process of restoring your identity should it ever be stolen. It also pays for the cost of restoring your identity up to $15,000, though this does not include coverage for any stolen funds.
There’s no way to predict how much your homeowners insurance will cost you without getting a quote. Homeowners policies are personalized to you, taking things like your address, home size, and creditworthiness into account. Each company weighs these factors slightly differently, which is why your rates vary from one company to the next.
Rates also vary depending on how much coverage you’re interested in. A basic homeowners policy protects against the following perils:
- Damage caused by aircraft
- Damage caused by vehicles
- Fire or lightning
- Riot or civil commotion
- Smoke damage
- Volcanic eruption
- Windstorm or hail
You’ll notice flooding and earthquakes aren’t on that list. These types of disasters are typicallly so costly that companies require you to purchase extra coverage if you want protection from them. So if you live in an area prone to floods or earthquakes, your rates will likely end up being higher than if you didn’t need that coverage. Most home insurance providers also offer optional coverage for expensive items, like jewelry or art, so if you have valuables that need protecting, you can expect to pay extra for that as well.
Other Ways to Save on Home Insurance
All lenders require proof of homeowners insurance, so there’s no way to avoid it. But there are some things you can do to lower the cost with any insurer:
- Shop around. Compare rates from several insurers to see which offers you the best deal. Don’t just look at the premium cost. Consider how much coverage you’re getting for that price.
- Go with a high deductible. Choosing a higher deductible will earn you a lower premium with every insurance provider.
- Bundle home and auto. If you have a vehicle that also needs insurance, get your home and auto coverage through the same company. Almost every insurer offers discounts to customers who do this.
- Improve your credit. Insurers look at your credit reports as a measure of your responsibility. A better credit score will usually earn you a lower rate with insurers.
- Install a security system. Many insurers, including Amica, give discounts to customers that have a monitored security system installed in their homes.
- Disaster-proof your home. For example, install storm shutters if your area is known for bad storms. This will help minimize the damages to your property and reduce your chances of filing a claim.
State Farm: This company offers comprehensive coverage designed to protect against all major perils, including fire, vandalism, theft, and storm damage. It doesn’t offer much in the way of homeowners discounts, but rates are generally affordable. State Farm has a reputation for providing good customer service, though it doesn’t have as high of consumer satisfaction ratings as Amica.
Allstate: Despite its many discounts, Allstate tends to be more expensive than the other companies on this list. Its unique RateGuard protection may be worth paying extra for, however. It works like accident forgiveness for your home, so your rate won’t go up following your first claim. In terms of protection, Allstate covers all major perils and has a decent selection of riders for those who would like to customize their policies, too.
GEICO: According to the most recent J.D. Power survey, customers appear to be fairly happy with the service they’ve received through GEICO. It doesn’t sell its own homeowners insurance policies, however. Instead, it partners with other insurers in your area. Before committing to a purchase through GEICO, you should investigate the company who will actually be underwriting your policy, since they’ll be the ones you’ll be dealing with in the event of needing to file a claim.
Progressive: Like GEICO, Progressive doesn’t underwrite its own homeowners insurance policies. It pairs you with one of its partners, and if you need to file a claim, you deal with that company instead of Progressive. Customers appear less satisfied with Progressive’s partners than GEICO’s, though. The company received an average rating in J.D. Power’s survey.
What Others Are Saying
- Consumer Reports surveyed its subscribers and found that Amica was one of the best in the industry in terms of claims satisfaction. One customer reported that “Amica handled the claim over the phone, had an estimate the next day, fixed what was needed without disagreements, and paid up within a week.”
Amica’s reputation for excellent customer service, affordable rates, and flexible policies makes it a solid choice when looking for home insurance. Still, you should shop around and request quotes from multiple providers to see which can offer you the best deal on the policy you want.
Find the Best Home Insurance Rates
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.