Best American Express Credit Cards for 2019
Independently researched content by us. Free financial advice for you. To do that, we may get compensation when you click on our partners’ products. Our lists consist of the best cards from our partners. Not all cards in the marketplace have been evaluated. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
In the world of great credit cards with even greater rewards, there’s no shortage of these when it comes to American Express. But, with so many American Express cards to choose from, how do you know which one is right for you? Fortunately, we took the time to review several American Express cards and their reward options to help you decide.
The Simple Dollar's top picks
Best for cash backBlue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express
For cash back on everyday purchases like going to the supermarket and filling up at the gas station, we recommend Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express. When you use this card at U.S. supermarkets, you can earn 6% cash back (on up to $6,000 per year, after that 1%) and earn 6% cash back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions. Purchases at U.S. gas stations and on transit will let you earn 3% cash back (1% back on all other purchases). The Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express is the quintessential cash back rewards card for anyone looking to earn rewards without adversely adjusting their spending habits.
- Earn a $250 statement credit after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 3 months.
- New 6% Cash Back on select U.S. streaming subscriptions.
- New 3% Cash Back on transit including taxis/rideshare, parking, tolls, trains, buses and more.
- 6% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%). 3% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations. 1% Cash Back on other purchases.
- Over 3 million more places in the U.S. started accepting American Express® Cards in 2017 and 2018.
- Low intro APR: 0% for 12 months on purchases and balance transfers, then a variable rate, currently 14.74% to 25.74%
- $95 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
The bottom line
All of American Express’ credit cards have lengthy and sometimes complicated rewards systems, so read through everything carefully before deciding which card is best for you. Remember that American Express wants you to earn rewards, so they’ve set it up to make sure you get something from nearly every purchase — it’s up to you to decide what that something should be.
Best for cash back Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American ExpressApply Now
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our rankings and recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.