We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, American Express, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® Review
What we like about the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®
- Get $150 as a statement credit after you put $1,200 worth of expenses on the card in the first three months
- Each quarter, ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® offers 5x points on certain purchases on a rotating basis, like bills, travel and dining; this additional perk applies only to the first $1,500 each quarter, but that can easily add up
- Each dollar you spend on the card will earn you one reward point, and you’ll get extra points when you buy from an ABOC partner
- Select between several categories when redeeming your rewards points
- There’s no limit to the number of points you can earn using this card, so you’ll get points for every purchase you make all year
- This card doesn’t charge an annual fee for cardholders, so you don’t pay to receive rewards
Things to consider
- Although earning 5x points on certain purchases quarterly is fantastic, all other purchases only earn 1x point
- To maximize your rewards, you have to track categories each quarter and make sure you are spending up to $1,500 in them
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® details
One of the best features of this card is its surplus of options for redeeming the rewards you’re earning. Many credit cards are more strict and let you use your points only toward one category, like hotel stays or cash back. However, the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® has several redemption choices for cardholders.
You can choose to use your rewards for credit on your statement, miles, cruise vouchers, gift cards or merchandise. You can also decide to combine your rewards into several different categories. To redeem your points, simply call customer service or use the online platform.
The ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® doesn’t come with an annual fee or foreign transaction fees. Thus, you won’t get hit with an extra fee for each purchase when you use your card abroad. The only extra cost you might find with this card is a late fee up to $35 or a returned payment charge of up to $25.
How does it compare to other rewards cards?
The ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® is great for anyone looking for high rewards on rotating categories each quarter, but there are other cards you might want to consider if you’re hoping for more simplified rewards. The Citi Double Cash Card and the Alliant Cashback Visa Signature Credit Card are two fantastic options that don’t ask you to track category changes every few months.
|Card||Ongoing Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||12.90% - 22.90% Variable APR on purchases and balance transfers||$0||$150 statement credit after you spend $1,200 in the first three months||Excellent|
|Citi ® Double Cash Card||13.99%–23.99% variable||None||None||Excellent|
|Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card||12.49 – 15.49% (variable)||$99, $0 the first year||3% cash back on nearly all purchases for the first year||Excellent|
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view our disclosures, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser’s page for terms & conditions.