We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express Review: A cash back credit card with no annual fee
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is the perfect card for earning up to 3% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%) without worrying about an annual fee ( See Rates & Fees ). When compared to other cash back cards, the lack of an annual fee is relatively rare, but its rewards categories might not cover expenses you typically spend on, meaning you may have to go out of your way to make purchases from specific businesses.
What we like about the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express
- Welcome bonus: Earn 20% back on purchases at Amazon.com on the Card in the first 6 months, up to $200 back. Plus, earn $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months.
- Earn 3% cash back: Get 3% cash back for spending at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 every year. After that, you’ll receive 1% back. Also, you’ll get 2% back on U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, as well as 1% back on everything else.
- 0% intro APR in the initial 0% on purchases for 15 months: If you plan to carry a balance on your credit card, this one could be an excellent choice. You won’t accrue interest on your balance for 0% on purchases for 15 months after you open the account, then 13.99%-23.99% Variable, which is longer than many introductory zero-interest periods.
- No annual fee: You won’t have to pay an annual fee to be a cardholder.
- Terms Apply
Things to consider
- Limited rewards. The 3% cash back on the highest-earning category — U.S. supermarkets — is limited to $6,000 per year. You’ll only earn 1% on all purchases at U.S. supermarkets after you spend over that amount, which can make the card less enticing.
- Few bonus categories. If you don’t spend a lot of money on the bonus categories, this might not be the best card for you. Because the categories are specific, you’ll need to make sure you purchase enough of these items to make this card the right one for your wallet.
- Foreign transaction fees. When you travel abroad and use this card, you’ll pay 2.7% of each transaction after conversion to US dollars. This addition may seem small, but foreign transaction fees can add up. ( See Rates & Fees )
Cash back details
To maximize your benefits, you’ll need to spend $6,000 each year on the card at U.S. supermarkets to earn the highest 3% cash back (then 1%), which is up to $180 back each year. You’ll also want to use the card for all your U.S. gas station and U.S. department store purchases. You’ll get an unlimited 2% back for all of those purchases, so it would be a good idea to buy them with your card.
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express carries no annual fee, which makes it an ideal card for many customers. You don’t have to pay to keep the card in your wallet, but you can earn rewards along the way. You also receive a 0% intro APR for 0% on purchases for 15 months for purchases and balance transfers after you get the card, but after that, the APR will be between 13.99%-23.99% Variable. You’ll pay up to $40 for late and returned payments ( See Rates & Fees ).
How does it compare to other cash back cards?
The Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express is a cash back card that offers 0% intro APR for the first 0% on purchases for 15 months on purchases and balance transfers and does not have an annual fee. However, other cards have similar — or even more extended — no-interest periods and higher rewards potential.
|Card||Ongoing Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Welcome Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express||13.99%-23.99% Variable ( See Rates & Fees )||$0 ( See Rates & Fees )||Earn 20% back on purchases at Amazon.com on the Card in the first 6 months, up to $200 back. Plus, earn $100 back after you spend $1,000 in purchases on your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms Apply.||Excellent||3% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets (on up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%). 2% Cash Back at U.S. gas stations and at select U.S. department stores, 1% back on other purchases. Terms Apply.|
|Citi® Double Cash Card||13.99%–23.99% variable||None||No current offer||Good to Excellent||2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.|
For rates and fees of the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express, please click here .
Please Note: Information about the Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express and Citi® Double Cash Card has been collected independently by TheSimpleDollar.com. The issuer did not provide the details, nor is it responsible for their accuracy.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view our disclosures, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser’s page for terms & conditions.