We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, American Express, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
Citi® Double Cash Card Review
From a generous cash back reward structure to a lengthy 0% for 18 months intro APR period, the Citi® Double Cash Card offers great appeal with no annual fee. For people who don’t want to handle multiple rewards cards, this 2% cash back card (1% when purchase and another 1% upon payment) offers a simple way to get rewards on every purchase without any stipulations. You won’t have to sign up for promotions or deal with rotating bonus categories to earn your rewards. However, the perks of this card extend beyond cash back. If Citi senses potentially fraudulent activity, you’ll receive alerts and won’t be held responsible for any unauthorized purchases made with the card.
What we like about Citi® Double Cash Card
- No annual fee: You’ll pay no annual fee, which is rare for a card that offers unlimited cash back on all purchases.
- Attractive balance transfer program: You’ll receive up to 0% for 18 months to pay off balances you transfer from another card, then 13.99%–23.99% variable.
- Flexible reward redemption options: You can claim your rewards by check, through a statement credit or having a deposit made to your bank account.
- No spending categories to track: You can use this card for occasional purchases and everyday expenses and not have to worry about where you’re spending since all purchases earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.
- The Lost Wallet Service: If your card is lost, Citi will replace it within 24 hours and provide emergency cash if you need it.
Things to consider
- Balance transfer fees: The 0% intro APR period is generous, but a $5 minimum or 3% of the balance transfer amount (whichever is greater) will cut into your interest savings.
- Foreign transaction fees: Traveling abroad and using the card will be pricey since you’ll incur a 3% charge on foreign purchases.
- Lacks sign up bonus: You won’t receive a sign up bonus after you’re approved.
- No bonus categories: Spending copious amounts on gas or dining, for instance, won’t earn you any more than the 2% cash back.
- Minimum redemption amounts: You’ll need to wait until you have a minimum of $25 in accumulated cash back rewards before you can redeem them.
Cash back rewards details
Citi® Double Cash Cardhas a unique way of offering its 2% cash back rewards to cardholders. You’ll receive a 1% reward immediately on purchases of any type and then an additional 1% when you pay off those purchases each month. You don’t even have to pay your balance in full each month — as long as you make the minimum payment, you’ll get cash back for whatever you’ve paid off.
You can use this card to earn hassle-free bonuses anywhere Mastercard is accepted. Just keep in mind that using your card to make a balance transfer, get a cash advance or pay account fees and interest does not count for cash back. When you’re ready, you can earn your cash back as a check, direct deposit, statement credit or convert to points for gift cards and travel.
One of the biggest appeals of the Citi® Double Cash Card is receiving ample rewards without having to fork over an annual fee. In terms of APR, the rate on the low end of the spectrum is a bit below the average of 16.98% — witnessed in 2019. If you’re traveling abroad, you’ll need to be cognizant of international transaction fees, but those fees aren’t out of line with other programs.
If you spent $5,000 on goods and services on a vacation outside U.S. borders, you would encounter $150 in foreign transaction fees that would negate (and then some) the $100 in cash back rewards that you’d earn for the purchases. Thus, that dual-card strategy might be even more effective if you travel frequently and pair the Citi® Double Cash Card with an option that doesn’t levy fees on foreign transactions.
How does it compare to other cash back rewards cards?
Two cards that are similar in nature to the Citi® Double Cash Card are the Chase Freedom Unlimited® and the Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card. Both offer an intro bonus that makes them slightly more appealing than the Citi® Double Cash Card. While the Chase Freedom Unlimited® card only offers 1.5% cash back, the Bank of America card earns you 3% cash back on gas, travel and dining purchases, making it a good option if you spend a lot in those categories.
|Card||Ongoing Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|Citi® Double Cash Card||13.99%–23.99% variable||None||Earn cash back twice. Earn 2% on every purchase with unlimited 1% cash back when you buy, plus an additional 1% as you pay for those purchases.||Excellent||Online budget and personal finance tools, Built-in solutions to combat identity theft|
|Chase Freedom Unlimited®||14.99%–23.74% variable||$0||$200 welcome bonus when you spend $500 with the card within three months of opening the account||Good to excellent||Unlimited 1.5% cash-back rewards on every purchase made with the card|
|Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card||15.49% – 25.49% Variable APR on purchases and balance transfers||$0||$200 online cash rewards bonus after you make at least $1,000 in purchases in the first 90 days of account opening||Good to excellent||Earn 3% cash back in the category of your choice, 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs (up to $2,500 in combined choice category/grocery store/wholesale club quarterly purchases), unlimited 1% on all other purchases|
Please Note: Information about the Citi® Double Cash Card have been collected independently by TheSimpleDollar.com. The issuer did not provide the details, nor is it responsible for their accuracy.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view our disclosures, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser’s page for terms & conditions.