We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card Review
What we like about IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card
- Use the card to purchase Global Entry or TSA Precheck programs, and you’ll be reimbursed $100 every four years toward the cost of the application fee.
- Simply by acquiring the card, you gain Platinum Elite Status, which includes a chance to earn additional points, complimentary internet access and a dedicated customer service line.
- Travel protections include coverage for lost or delayed baggage and automatic enrollment in a trip cancellation insurance program.
- Earn one free night’s stay at the brand’s locations on each account anniversary.
- No foreign transaction fees, which is great if you’re using the card while abroad.
Things to consider
- The highest rewards categories are limited to stays within the IHG family, and points can’t transfer to other hotel chains.
- The free night earned on your card anniversary lasts for 12 months.
- 2X bonus categories are limited, and all other everyday purchases only earn one point per dollar.
- The value of your points will diminish if you redeem them for merchandise, gift cards or airfare.
- The annual fee is $89.
Travel rewards details
The most appealing feature of the IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card comes in the form of the super-sized point bonuses you’ll receive when patronizing IHG hotels. When using the card to pay for accommodations, you’ll earn ten points per dollar. Your included IHG Rewards Membership status packs on another ten points per dollar, and you’ll grab an additional five points through Platinum Elite Status, which won’t require any more effort than just owning the card. That’s a multiplier of 25X for each dollar spent within IHG properties.
The current welcome bonus of 125,000 bonus points plus a Reward Night after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening. Book a series of four or more nights at the same IHG hotel, and you’ll receive an additional free stay when using points to pay for the visit.
At $89, the annual fee isn’t a deal-breaker, especially if you hold the card for a year and earn that free night at an IHG hotel. The card travels well, also. You won’t incur any foreign transaction fees when you’re on business or vacationing outside U.S. borders. On the prohibitive side, balance transfers will cost you 5% of the amount or $5, whichever is greater.
How does it compare to other travel rewards cards?
If you’re already an IHG loyalist, this card will be a welcome addition to your wallet. However, you might want to look at the American Express® Gold Card or the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card as well if you want more flexibility. The American Express® Gold Card offers higher rewards on spending at restaurants and groceries, while the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card offers more choices when it comes to redeeming points.
|Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|IHG® Rewards Club Premier Credit Card||$89||125,000 bonus points plus a Reward Night after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of account opening||Good to Excellent|
|American Express® Gold Card||$250||Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $4,000 on eligible purchases with your new Card within the first 6 months. Terms Apply.||Good to Excellent|
|Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card||$95||60,000 points after spending $4,000 in the first three months.||Good to Excellent|
For rates and fees of American Express® Gold Card, please click here .Please Note: Information about the American Express® Gold Card has been collected independently by TheSimpleDollar.com. The issuer did not provide the details, nor is it responsible for their accuracy.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view our disclosures, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser’s page for terms & conditions.