We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, American Express, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
Earn Cash Back with the Top Holiday Toys of 2017
If you’re the type who likes to plan ahead, chances are you’re already trying to strategize how to get the best Holiday gifts at the lowest prices. And Walmart’s trying to appeal to early shoppers: The retail giant has recently released its list of the most popular toys for the 2017 Holidays.
Sales are great, but if you’re looking to take your savings even further, a cash back credit card might be the most powerful tool in your wallet. We’ve calculated the total amount of Walmart’s list — which includes Hatchimals, Fingerlings Interactive Baby Monkeys, and the littleBits Star Wars Droid Inventor Kit — to be $597.67. We’ve measured that amount against our list of the best cash back credit cards of 2019, to show just how much you could save.
Note: For toys with multiple prices, we’ve selected the average amount. Cash back is rounded to the nearest cent. Pricing does not include shipping and handling costs.
|Credit Card||Cashback Rate||Total Return|
|Discover it® Cash Back||5% cash back at different places each quarter like grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares and online shopping, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate; Plus, 1% unlimited cash back automatically on everything else.||$5.98|
|Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express||6% on select U.S. streaming subscriptions, 6% at U.S. supermarkets on up to $6,000 per year in purchases (then 1%), 3% at U.S. gas stations and on transit, 1% on other purchases. Annual Fee Limited Time Offer: $0 introductory annual fee for one year, then $95. Offer Expires 12/10/2020 . Terms Apply.||$5.98|
|Bank of America® Cash Rewards credit card – $200 Cash Rewards Offer||1% cash back on every purchase, 2% at grocery stores and wholesale clubs, and 3% on gas for the first $2,500 in combined grocery/wholesale club/gas purchases each quarter||$5.98 + Bonus|
|Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card||1.5% on all purchases||$8.97 + Bonus|
|Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® (currently unavailable)||1.5% on all purchases||$8.97|
|Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card||1.5% on all purchases||$8.97|
The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a $200 signup bonus when cardholders spend $500 or more on purchases within 3 months from account opening.
Breaking it down, card by card
Earn 6% at U.S. Supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%), 3% at U.S. gas stations and select U.S. department stores, 1% on everything else
- While Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express cardholders earn 6% cash back at U.S. supermarkets (up to $6,000 per year in purchases, then 1%), American Express considers Walmart a “superstore” instead of a grocery store, so cardholders only earn 1%. That’s an impressive savings. And rewards dollars can be redeemed as statement credits, good for any purchase.
Earn 5% for rotating categories, 1% on everything else
- The Discover it® Cash Back card offers 1% unlimited cash back automatically on all purchases, as well as 5% cashback on purchases made within select categories that rotate quarterly. That includes 5% cash back at different places each quarter like grocery stores, restaurants, gas stations, select rideshares and online shopping, up to the quarterly maximum when you activate. And don’t forget about the dollar-for-dollar cashback match at the end of your first year of card membership!
Earn 3% on gas, 2% on grocery stores, and 1% everywhere else
- If you’re a Bank of America® customer, and you participate in Preferred Rewards, the Bank of America® Cash Rewards Credit Card holds the most value for you. In addition to the 1% cash back you’ll earn on Walmart purchases, you’ll be able to earn anywhere between a 25-75% customer points bonus! That’s in addition to the $200 online cash rewards bonus earned after spending $500 in the first 90 days of card membership.
Earn 1.5% on all purchases
- The Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers one of the simplest, highest reward rates of any cash back card. Cardholders earn 1.5% cashback on all purchases, period. Combined with no annual fee, this is one of the most no-frills, flat-rate credit cards available on the market today.
- The Barclaycard CashForward™ World Mastercard® (currently unavailable) is a useful cash back card for stacking rewards. Cardholders earn 1.5% cashback on all purchases throughout the year. Every time you redeem rewards, you’ll earn a 5% cash reward bonus toward your next redemption. That’s a solid, consistent bonus that lasts past the holidays.
- Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card offers a straightforward, flat-rate 1.5% cash back for cardholders. It’s designed for those with average-to-fair credit and can help build up your credit score over time.
Lastly, consider how you’ll use your card post-holiday. Cash back credit cards offer differing rewards rates based on spending habits: Some are optimal for spending in specific categories, while others are optimal for everyday expenses. For more info on the cards in this list, and to see which card is right for you, check out our list of the best cash back credit cards of 2019.
Please Note: Information about the Discover it® Cash Back, Capital One® QuicksilverOne® Cash Rewards Credit Card and Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card have been collected independently by TheSimpleDollar.com. The issuer did not provide the details, nor is it responsible for their accuracy.
For rates and fees of Blue Cash Preferred® Card from American Express, please click here
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view our disclosures, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser’s page for terms & conditions.