The ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® provides a solid introductory offer of zero interest, along with rewards you can earn easily through regular spending. The card also comes with Mastercard protection, meaning you’ll be insured nearly anywhere you shop.
Another enticing feature of this card is that you don’t need excellent credit to qualify. Even customers with fair credit could get this card. If you’re looking to build up your credit, a no-fee card like this is a fantastic choice. Plus, the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® is one of the few credit cards that also doles out excellent rewards to customers with lower credit scores.
What we like about the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®
- Get $150 as a statement credit after you put $1,200 worth of expenses on the card in the first three months
- Each quarter, ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® offers 5x points on certain purchases on a rotating basis, like bills, travel and dining; this additional perk applies only to the first $1,500 each quarter, but that can easily add up
- Each dollar you spend on the card will earn you one reward point, and you’ll get extra points when you buy from an ABOC partner
- Select between several categories when redeeming your rewards points
- There’s no limit to the number of points you can earn using this card, so you’ll get points for every purchase you make all year
- This card doesn’t charge an annual fee for cardholders, so you don’t pay to receive rewards
Things to consider
- Although earning 5x points on certain purchases quarterly is fantastic, all other purchases only earn 1x point
- To maximize your rewards, you have to track categories each quarter and make sure you are spending up to $1,500 in them
ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® details
One of the best features of this card is its surplus of options for redeeming the rewards you’re earning. Many credit cards are more strict and let you use your points only toward one category, like hotel stays or cash back. However, the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® has several redemption choices for cardholders.
You can choose to use your rewards for credit on your statement, miles, cruise vouchers, gift cards or merchandise. You can also decide to combine your rewards into several different categories. To redeem your points, simply call customer service or use the online platform.
The ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® doesn’t come with an annual fee or foreign transaction fees. Thus, you won’t get hit with an extra fee for each purchase when you use your card abroad. The only extra cost you might find with this card is a late fee up to $35 or a returned payment charge of up to $25.
How does it compare to other rewards cards?
The ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard® is great for anyone looking for high rewards on rotating categories each quarter, but there are other cards you might want to consider if you’re hoping for more simplified rewards. The Citi Double Cash Card and the Alliant Cashback Visa Signature Credit Card are two fantastic options that don’t ask you to track category changes every few months.
|Card||Ongoing Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®||12.90% - 22.90% Variable APR on purchases||None||$150 statement credit after you spend $1,200 in the first three months||Excellent||
|Citi® Double Cash Card||15.49% – 25.49% (Variable)||$0||None||Excellent||
|Alliant Cashback Visa® Signature Credit Card||12.49 – 15.49% (variable)||$99, $0 the first year||3% cash back on nearly all purchases for the first year||Excellent||
The bottom line
As long as you’re willing to put in the work to follow the rotating rewards categories, you could rack up a lot of rewards with the ABOC Platinum Rewards Mastercard®. The fact that the card comes with no annual fee and a reasonable APR means you can easily earn points.
However, some cardholders might want to look elsewhere. If you’re hoping to earn more than one point per dollar spent on everything except for the items in the quarterly categories, it might be a good idea to seek out a different card. Other cards can give more enticing benefits, especially if you have a high credit score. Also, although some members will see the flexible redemption categories as a perk, if you want a card dedicated to cash back or travel, there are more versatile options out there.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.