The Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® lives up the Brinks Home Security name, as it is perfect for those who prioritize safety and want protection against unauthorized transactions. With no late fees or interest charges that usually accompany a credit card, this prepaid debit card offers cardholders a chance to rein in their discretionary budget. The Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® won’t raise your credit score, but it does allow users to escape the hassle of credit checks and interest charges if you simply crave cashless convenience.
What we like about the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard®
- Payback Rewards: Cardholders earn cash back for everyday purchases and receive customized offers for using the card.
- Speedy direct deposit: If you choose your Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® for direct deposit, you can see your payment reflect on your account up to two days faster.
- Mobile check deposit: Deposit checks to your account through the card’s mobile app with a few photos.
- Text alerts: Get text alerts to receive notifications regarding your deposits, transactions or budget alerts.
- No credit check: The Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® isn’t a credit card, so there’s no hard credit inquiry or impact on your credit score as a result.
- No bank account necessary: Unlike a regular debit card that’s linked to a checking account, a prepaid card allows you to load money straight onto the card.
Things to consider
- No impact on credit score: If you want to get a better credit score or need to rebuild your credit, debit cards don’t appear on your credit history and don’t influence your credit score.
- Monthly fee: A monthly fee is automatically assessed to your account unless you choose the pay-as-you-go plan, which charges you per transaction.
- Foreign transaction fees: Traveling abroad? Beware — this card charges you a 3.5% charge for each international purchase.
- Regular transaction fees: Regardless of what type of payment plan you choose, there are certain transactions you’ll always pay a fee for including withdrawing cash at an ATM.
- Penalty for account inactivity: If you don’t use your card for 90 days, you’ll be charged an inactivity fee.
Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® prepaid details
The Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® is ideal for those who don’t desire a credit card but want a cashless experience. With this card, users will have to decide between a pay-as-you-go plan or pay individual transaction fees. Although there is no minimum balance required, you’ll need to make sure that you keep your card active to avoid an inactivity fee.
Cardholders who enroll in the optional payback rewards can earn statement credit with qualifying signature-required purchases. If you use your Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® for direct deposits, you can get access to a $10 purchase cushion. The feature covers you if you’re a few dollars short to make a purchase. The card’s Mastercard zero liability protection feature takes you off the hook for any unauthorized transactions.
Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® fees
There are several fee structures that cardholders can choose from with the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard®. For the pay-as-you-go plan, you won’t be charged on a monthly basis. The card’s monthly plan, however, charges you $9.95 each month, and the reduced monthly plan charges $5 each month. If you’re on a monthly plan, you won’t pay any purchase fees. But if you’re on a pay-as-you-go plan, you’ll be charged between $1 and $2 per transaction.
Luckily, there are no fees for ACH payments or customer service calls. ATM balance inquiry fees will set you back 50 cents, and you’ll be charged $2.50 to withdraw cash at a bank or ATM within the U.S.
Be wary of using your card abroad since there’s a foreign transaction surcharge of 3.5% per purchase and a $4.95 charge for withdrawing money, plus the fees that an ATM operator can charge you.
How does it compare to other prepaid cards?
If you like the convenience offered by the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® but not the fees, the Bluebird by American Express may be a better option. The Bluebird offers benefits like no fees on purchases, no monthly fees, no costs for activation or inactivity and free withdrawals at all MoneyPass network ATMs. But if you want a card built for secure online shopping, consider the MOVO Digital Prepaid Visa, which can be linked to Apple Pay, Google Pay and Samsung Pay on your phone.
|Card||Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard®||N/A||None||None||N/A||Protection from unauthorized purchases; $10 purchase cushion when you’re short on a transaction; Cash back rewards applied directly to your account|
|Bluebird by American Express||N/A||None||None||N/A||No fees for ATM withdrawals within MoneyPass Network; Access to Bluebird mobile app with options to set aside money for savings goals or add additional card users; Add funds to your account with cash or debit at participating retailers|
|MOVO Digital Prepaid Visa||N/A||None||None||N/A||No credit check required; No monthly fees; Users can withdraw cash for free from 6,000 ATMs and $2 for out-of-network ATMs|
The bottom line
If you just want a cashless prepaid card, the Brink’s Prepaid Mastercard® could be a great option. However, it’s important to weigh the convenience of this card with the fee structure. If you have a checking account, it might be more worthwhile to get a debit card linked to the associated account that has fewer costs.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.