The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is the ultimate travel rewards card for serious businesses. With its monstrous $595 (See Rates & Fees) annual fee and perks geared directly to travel and business expenses, you’ll need to spend a significant amount every month in those two categories to take full advantage of what this card has to offer.
If you and others in your company do spend a lot of time at the airport, this card is absolutely worth the large annual fee. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has a large welcome bonus (paired with an equally high minimum spend) and premium travel perks like access to Amex’s luxurious Centurion Lounges and automatic Gold Elite status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors.
What we like about The Business Platinum Card® from American Express
- Welcome bonus: You can earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Bonus rewards on flights and hotels: Earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked on Amex Travel.
- 35% bonus on flights: When you use your Membership Rewards® Pay with Points for all or part of a flight with your selected qualifying airline, and you can get 35% of the points back, up to 500,000 bonus points per calendar year when you book on amextravel.com.
- Lounge access: Get access to more than 1,200 airport lounges across 130 countries with the American Express Global Lounge Collection, including the luxurious Centurion Lounges.
Things to consider
- High annual fee: The annual fee of $595 (See Rates & Fees) is a steep price to pay if you won’t be able to take full advantage of this card’s benefits.
- High minimum spend for welcome bonus: Your business will need to spend $15,000 within your first 3 months on your account to earn the full 75,000-point bonus reward.
- Rewards weighted towards travel: If travel isn’t a big part of your business, you might find it difficult to take full advantage of all The Business Platinum Card® from American Express has to offer.
- Charge card, not a credit card: You must pay your balance in full every month unless you enroll in the Pay Over Time feature.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express travel rewards details
Designed for businesses on the move, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express boasts serious travel rewards and perks. You’ll earn 5x points on flights and prepaid hotels booked through Amex Travel and 1x points per dollar on all other eligible purchases, plus 50% more points on qualifying business purchases of $5,000 or more. You’ll also receive a fantastic welcome bonus of up to 75,000 Membership Rewards points when you spend $15,000 in the first three months of card membership.
The included $200 airline fee credit reimburses you for baggage and other related airline fees, helping reduce the impact of the $595 (See Rates & Fees) annual fee. When you take full advantage of the card’s premium perks, like airport lounge access and Gold Elite status with Marriott Bonvoy and Hilton Honors, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is a powerful tool for business owners that travel.
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express fees
How does it compare to other travel rewards cards?
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express is a powerful card for your business, but it certainly is not the right choice for everyone. If you’re a smaller business that wants to get an American Express credit card but don’t travel as often or don’t spend enough to earn the full rewards rate, the American Express® Business Gold Card is another great option. If you can’t stomach The Business Platinum Card® from American Express’s annual fee, the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business offers an exceptional rewards rate without all the premium perks that drive the annual fee up.
Please Note: The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business is currently unavailable through our site.
|Card||Ongoing Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|The Business Platinum Card® from American Express||N/A||$595 (See Rates & Fees)||Earn 75,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $15,000 on qualifying purchases within your first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply.||Excellent||5x points per dollar spent on flights and prepaid hotels through Amextravel.com, 1.5x points on eligible purchases over $5,000 and 1x point per dollar on all other purchases; 35% airline bonus; $200 annual airline fee credit; airport lounge access. Terms Apply.|
|American Express® Business Gold Card||14.24% - 22.24% Variable See Rates & Fees||$295 See Rates & Fees||35,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $5,000 on eligible purchases with the Business Gold Card within the first 3 months of Card Membership. Terms Apply.||Good to Excellent||Get 4X Membership Rewards® points on the 2 select categories where your business spent the most each month. Terms Apply.|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business||18.49% (Variable)||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that||Earn unlimited 2X miles per dollar on every purchase, everywhere, no limits or category restrictions, and miles won’t expire for the life of the account||Good to Excellent||Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles – equal to $500 in travel – once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening|
The bottom line
The Business Platinum Card® from American Express makes business travel more comfortable and convenient. This card is perfect for companies who spend a lot of time out of the office (and the country), earning them points for flying and giving them access to some of the best airport lounges in the world. These perks, however, come with a hefty price tag. The Business Platinum Card® from American Express will not be a great fit for smaller businesses who don’t spend or travel enough to take full advantage of the card’s rewards.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.