The Milestone® Gold Mastercard® is a credit card designed for rebuilding credit. This card has flexible approval requirements, a competitive annual percentage rate (APR) and comes with the Mastercard Gold benefits. Further, all payment activity is reported to the three credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax and Transunion). As long as you are managing the card responsibly, it can help you build a positive credit history . However, before you sign up, you should compare it against other entry-level credit cards, as there are alternatives that offer more in terms of affordability and perks.
What we like about the Milestone® Gold Mastercard®
- The card comes with chip protection to add additional fraud protection.
- Customer service is available online, 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
- IDT provides numerous resolution services if your identity is stolen. It will search the web routinely looking for compromised credentials, send alerts and send a monthly newsletter with information on your risk score and educational articles about good identity protection practices.
- You will also have access to a team of identity theft resolution specialists who are available around-the-clock if you need help resolving an identity theft incident and preventing it from happening again.
- You get 15% savings on airport meet-and-greet services. You will even have your very own personal agent to escort you through the airport, and in some airports, you may be expedited through security saving you a lot of time.
Things to consider
- The credit line is $300, which limits this card to smaller purchases.
- If your payment is late, you can be charged late fees and a penalty APR.
- The annual fees can range from $35-$99, and you won’t know what your annual fee will be until you are approved.
- The annual fee gets deducted immediately from the $300 credit limit right when you open the card, further limiting your purchase power.
- There is no balance transfer option.
- There are no rewards or cash back programs.
Milestone® Gold Mastercard® subprime card details
The Milestone® Gold Mastercard® is designed for people who have no credit or bad credit, so you can likely get approved even if you have no credit history or have made financial mistakes in your past. You don’t have to have good credit to be approved, and the 24.90% APR is competitive compared to other cards for people with lower credit scores.
Even better, the pre-approval check can be done instantly and won’t impact your credit score. Once you get approved, there is a 25-day grace period to make payments without interest.
Milestone® Gold Mastercard® fees
The Milestone® Gold Mastercard® offers different annual fee structures depending on your credit score. People with higher scores may pay a fee as low as $35 a year, while those with lower scores will pay $59 or $75 for the first year and $99 a year thereafter.
The annual fee you get is based on your creditworthiness and will be deducted from your credit line as soon as your account is opened. The Milestone® Gold Mastercard® also comes with a up to $40 fee for late payments, returned payments or going over your credit limit.
As for the interest costs, this card offers a 24.90% APR, which is fairly competitive considering the card is for people with subprime credit. However, if you are late on a payment, the APR jumps up to the 29.90% penalty APR. Unfortunately, one late payment may put your account in late fee status indefinitely.
How does it compare to other cards for subprime credit?
If your credit is less-than-perfect, you can consider this card, but it’s not your only option. Aside from the Milestone® Gold Mastercard®, the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card and the Credit One Bank® Unsecured Platinum Visa® are two similar unsecured credit cards aimed at helping people rebuild their credit score.
|Card||Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|Milestone® Gold Mastercard®||24.90%||$35-$99||None||Good to excellent||
|Credit One Bank® Unsecured Platinum Visa®||19.49% to 25.49% Variable||$0-$99||None||Good to excellent||
|Capital One® Platinum Credit Card||26.99% (Variable)||$0||None||Fair to Good||
The bottom line
If you are looking to reestablish your credit, the Milestone® Gold Mastercard® may be a good fit for you. It is easy to get approved with this card, and it grants you a small credit line with the chance to prove you can manage it responsibly. Further, you can enjoy Milestone® Gold Mastercard® Benefits such as airport concierge and identity theft protection.
However, when compared to cards like the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card or Credit One Bank® Unsecured Platinum Visa®, the Milestone® Gold Mastercard® may not have some desired perks. For example, with the Capital One® Platinum Credit Card, you can enjoy a higher credit line after five months and no annual fee. Further, with the Credit One Bank® Unsecured Platinum Visa®, you earn 1% cash back on all purchases. So consider the Milestone® Gold Mastercard®, but be sure to compare it against two or three other options to ensure you get the most out of your credit card for poor credit. Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.