The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express is a fantastic choice for earning 2x points on all purchases as a small business owner (up to $50,000 a year, then 1x point per dollar). With $0 (See Rates & Fees) annual fee and a 0% intro APR for 12 months from date of account opening for purchases (then ongoing 13.24% - 19.24% Variable See Rates & Fees), you’ll have the ultimate flexibility to spend and earn so your small business can grow without worrying about a complex credit card statement.
With this card, you’ll earn 2x points for every dollar you spend on up to $50,000 in purchases each calendar year. After you cross that threshold, you’ll earn 1x point per dollar on every purchase. The card’s flat-rewards rate saves you from having to track categories or activate promotional rates every quarter, giving you the freedom to earn rewards easily.
What we like about The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express
- You’ll earn 2x points per dollar on every purchase for up to $50,000 each calendar year, then 1x point per dollar on everything after that
- No annual fee, which helps save you more upfront
- The Blue Business Plus Credit Card from American Express gives you the option to spend above your credit limit if you need a little extra capital to upgrade equipment, buy more inventory or improve your business
- Enjoy a 0% intro APR for 12 months from date of account opening for purchases before it bounces to its usual 13.24% - 19.24% Variable See Rates & Fees variable APR
Things to consider
- Unlike the Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card and the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business, this card does not offer a welcome bonus to new cardmembers
- If your business spends more than $50,000 on a credit card in a calendar year, you will pass the limit for 2x rewards, making your credit card much less rewarding
- Many businesses in the U.S. and around the world don’t accept American Express credit cards, so you might run into problems if this card is all you have and an important vendor doesn’t accept it
- With the card’s 2.7% foreign transaction fee (See Rates & Fees), you’ll probably want a backup card if you travel regularly outside the United States
The Blue Business® Plus double rewards details
Designed for small businesses, The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express offers 2x points per dollar on your first $50,000 in purchases each calendar year. If your business operates below that line, you’ll be hard-pressed to find a card with no annual fee that can match it. If you cross the $50,000 mark in a calendar year, you’ll earn 1x point per dollar, which isn’t ideal if you want to rack up rewards.
American Express points are flexible and have the best value when you use them for travel through one of the issuer’s travel partners. You’ll have the option to use your points for a statement credit or for gift cards, but they lose a lot of value compared to travel.
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card fees
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express comes with a few fees you should be aware of before applying. One of the biggest perks of this card is that it has no annual fee, making it a low-cost credit card for everyday expenses. It does, however, carry a foreign transaction fee of 2.7%, so you may be better off leaving it at home when you travel abroad.
How does it compare to other business credit cards?
When you combine this card’s fantastic rewards rate, top-notch business integration tools and no annual fee, it becomes an easy win for small business owners. However, if you want a business cash back card with a hefty sign up bonus, the Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card may be a better choice. If your business expenses are likely to exceed the $50,000 limit for The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, you should consider the Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business as it is more tailored to frequent flyers.
Please Note: The Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business is currently unavailable through our site.
|Card||Ongoing Purchase APR||Annual Fee||Intro Bonus||Credit Needed||Key features|
|The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express||13.24% - 19.24% Variable See Rates & Fees||$0 (See Rates & Fees)||None||Good to excellent||Earn 2x points on every dollar you spend on up to $50,000 in purchases each calendar year and earn 1x point per dollar after that. Terms Apply.|
|Ink Business Unlimited℠ Credit Card||13.24% - 19.24% Variable||$0||$500 bonus cash back after you spend $3,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening||Excellent||Unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase made for your business|
|Capital One® Spark® Miles for Business||18.49% (Variable)||$0 intro for first year; $95 after that||Earn a one-time bonus of 50,000 miles – equal to $500 in travel – once you spend $4,500 on purchases within the first 3 months from account opening||Good to excellent||Earn unlimited 2x miles on every purchase|
The bottom line
The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express can help small business owners manage their spending and earn double rewards for every purchase. If your business spends less than $50,000 annually on a credit card, you can use this card to earn 2x points per dollar on every purchase per year, then 1 point per dollar thereafter. With it, you’ll be able to focus on your business and have ultimate control over your rewards without having to worry about spending minimums, categories or quarterly bonuses.
For rates and fees of The Blue Business® Plus Credit Card from American Express, please click here.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.