If you fly Delta often enough, it might make sense to get the co-branded Delta credit card — especially for your flight purchases. With the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, you can earn SkyMiles on your everyday spending, plus two miles per dollar on eligible Delta-specific purchases, along with some extra perks just for cardholders.
By signing up for the card, you’ll also earn a hefty welcome bonus to get you started. Here’s what you need to know before applying:
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 30,000 Bonus Miles after spending $1,000 in purchases in the first 3 months and a $50 statement credit after making a Delta purchase in the first 3 months with your new Card.
- Earn 2 miles for every dollar spent on eligible purchases made directly with Delta. Earn 1 mile for every eligible dollar spent on purchases.
- Check your first bag free on Delta flights - that's a savings of up to $200 per round trip for a family of four.
- Settle into your seat sooner with Priority Boarding.
- Enjoy a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express: How it Works
If you’re a frequent flyer on Delta, you’re already earning miles with every flight you book. The Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express lets you earn additional miles through everyday spending – and by using your card specifically for Delta purchases. With the Delta credit card, you’ll earn:
- 2 miles per dollar spent on all eligible purchases made directly with Delta Air Lines
- 1 mile per dollar spent on all other eligible purchases
- A $50 statement credit after you use your Delta credit card for a Delta purchase within the first three months
- Your first checked bag free on Delta flights
- Terms Apply
If you fly Delta frequently, earning two miles per dollar spent is a great way to rack up miles quickly. Other perks such as priority boarding, free checked bags, and no annual fee the first year round out this card’s offerings.
It’s also important to note that Delta Air Lines lets you book reward seats with no blackout dates. In a world where frequent flyer miles are often hard to redeem, this makes Delta SkyMiles pretty valuable. Meanwhile Delta SkyMiles never expire, which means you can rack up points for years without worrying about miles lapsing or disappearing.
- Related: Best Airline Cards of 2018
Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express: How to Use It
These tips can help you rack up Delta miles quickly without missing out on other point-earning opportunities:
- Use your card for all Delta Air Lines purchases. Since you earn two miles per eligible dollar spent on all Delta Air Lines purchases with the Delta credit card, you should definitely plan on using your card whenever you book travel with Delta. With enough Delta spending, you may also earn one of Delta’s Medallion statuses, which range from general membership all the way up to Diamond.
- Pair this card with another top travel card for more earning power. While it makes sense to use your Delta credit card for Delta-specific purchases, the rest of your travel spending should go on a card that earns at least two points per dollar spent on travel purchases. A good option is the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, which offers two points per $1 spent on travel and dining.
- Get The Platinum Card® from American Express to earn more miles that transfer to Delta Air Lines. Although you’ll earn more miles by using your Delta credit card for Delta purchases, the welcome bonus and airline credit from The Platinum Card® from American Express can help you rack up more Delta SkyMiles while earning additional perks.
- Rack up miles as long as you want. Since Delta SkyMiles never expire, you can earn or hoard miles for years without redeeming them. This is especially helpful if you’re hoping to redeem your points for an especially expensive flight or combination of flights that might take a while to earn. Just remember, you’ll need to pay the card’s annual fee each year after your first year as a cardmember.
Who This Card is Good For:
- Someone who flies Delta Air Lines almost exclusively
- Those who want to earn Delta Medallion status as quickly as possible
- Those who want to earn SkyMiles instead of other point currencies
Who This Card Isn’t Good For:
- Someone who flies multiple airlines and doesn’t care about status
- Big spenders who would get more value out of one of the top rewards cards
- Someone who wants flexible points that are good for multiple uses
Does the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express Need a Companion?
Since the annual fee is waived the first year, it’s possible to try out the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express for 12 months without a commitment. However, it may not make sense to pay the annual fee in the long term since it would take a considerable amount of Delta spending to make up for the annual fee.
If you’re unsure how much you’ll actually spend with Delta this year, it may make sense to get a flexible rewards card instead. With The Platinum Card® from American Express, for example, you’ll earn points that can transfer to a handful of different airlines and hotel loyalty programs – including Delta. Or, if you just want to earn as many Delta SkyMiles as possible, this card makes for a good complement in your wallet.
With American Express Membership Rewards, you can transfer points to Delta Airlines at a 1,000:750 ratio. In other words, 1,000 Membership Rewards points is equal to 750 Delta SkyMiles.
Here are some details to consider before you sign up:
The Platinum Card® from American Express
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Up to $200 for Uber rides annually. Credit and Uber VIP status available to Basic Card Member only.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on eligible hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- As a Platinum Card Member, you can enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees
Should I Get the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express?
If you’re considering the Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express, you should ask yourself how often you fly with Delta Air Lines.
If you’re an avid Delta consumer, this might be the perfect card for you. But if you’re not loyal to Delta and fly other airlines often, you would probably be better off sticking to a rewards cards that lets you earn at least two points per dollar spent on all travel purchases like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card.
Editorial Note: Compensation does not influence our rankings and recommendations. However, we may earn a commission on sales from the companies featured in this post. To view a list of partners, click here. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by our advertisers. Reasonable efforts are made to present accurate info, however all information is presented without warranty. Consult our advertiser's page for terms & conditions.