Veterans and military personnel receive a lot of benefits and perks in exchange for their service to our country. Unfortunately, many choose not to take advantage of the full array.
You can get free meals on Veteran’s Day and college subsidies, sure — there are some things everyone knows about. However, did you know that as an active or former member of the armed forces, you might also be eligible for veteran or military car insurance at special discounted rates? Here’s the lowdown on military auto insurance policies and discounts.
Why Do Military Members Get Special Car Insurance Rates?
One word: deployment. If you get deployed overseas, you’re going to be storing your car, and it’s not going to be in use for months on end. That comes with, to put it mildly, a significantly diminished chance that you’re going to crash the car or that it will get damaged or stolen.
That discount can be on the order of 90%, depending on where you store your car. If your insurance company isn’t even aware that people go on deployment, it’s time to start looking elsewhere.
USAA Is Almost Always Your Best Bet for Military Insurance
United Services Automobile Association is basically AAA for service members. As such, they’re going to be the most attuned to your lifestyle and needs, and thus able to offer you not just the best rate, but the best policy for your situation.
If you’re unfamiliar with USAA, get to know them. In addition to auto insurance, they also offer life insurance and other insurance products, as well as banking and investment services — all with active duty military personnel in mind. Not active duty? Don’t worry. Veterans and their immediate family members are also eligible for USAA products.
What Are the Advantages of Using USAA?
If you live on base or live near a base where you can garage your vehicle, you’re going to get up to 15% off. This is due to the significantly diminished chances of your car being stolen when it’s garaged on a military base. If you go on deployment, you’re going to get a discount of up to 90% — that’s not a typo — on your auto insurance premiums.
What are some other reasons to join USAA?
- USAA frequently gets rated among the best insurers for customer service, according to J.D. Power and Associates.
- USAA offers banking options that are almost certainly better than the big, for-profit bank you’re using now, including free ATM usage. They even refund the fees other banks charge you.
- Their credit cards typically rank well compared to other cards.
- You can get virtually any kind of insurance from USAA, allowing you to bundle everything under one roof.
- Saving for retirement? USAA can help you out with salaried advisors who aren’t making a dime off of your individual transactions. If there’s a retirement product, USAA offers it.
- All the standard online and mobile services you’re used to are offered through USAA.
- Their rates for loans, from mortgages to auto loans, are highly competitive.
Always Shop Around
Even though USAA is designed with the military in mind, it’s still good to shop around to make sure that you’re getting the best deal possible. For example, their motorcycle insurance rates aren’t the best out there. Still, for most active and former military personnel — especially for those who are on deployment — it’s going to be hard to beat what USAA offers, both in terms of rates and service.
See what else is out there, but remember that USAA exists specifically for families just like yours. You can compare rates and get quotes from competing companies using our car insurance tool below:
Find the Best Car Insurance
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.