We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
The Best Renters Insurance Companies in Boston
Renters insurance in Boston is more expensive than in most areas in the United States. It’s expensive for a few reasons, but the main one being that it’s necessary to protect your belongings. With a high amount of claims every year, providers must make up for any foreseen losses by charging Bostonians more for coverage. For this reason, renters in Boston need to find the best insurance companies on the market.
To help you navigate through the overwhelming sea of insurance providers, we used our SimpleScore methodology to find the companies that deserve your business and attention.
The best renters insurance companies in Boston
- Best for bundling with auto insurance: Geico
- Best for affordability: Travelers
- Best for discounts: State Farm
- Best for fast quotes: Garrity Insurance
Choosing your provider
When choosing which provider you want to work with in Boston, Massachusetts, you should look at both national and local providers. Each has its own unique set of pros and cons, and therefore each deserves your attention.
[Read: How Much is Renters Insurance?]
- Supports your local economy
- Develop ongoing relationships with the same agents
- Agents know exactly what you need to have in your policy for your area
- May not have as strong of an online or mobile app presence
- May be more expensive than a national carrier
- May not have as many coverage options as a national carrier
- Able to offer cheaper rates than many local carriers
- Will likely have a stronger online and mobile app presence
- Will likely have more coverage options than a local carrier
- Agents may not be familiar with your needs as a Boston resident
- Will be difficult to develop an ongoing working relationship with an agent outside of filing a claim
- You will likely not have access to a brick and mortar location
Additional renters insurance coverage in Boston
Boston, Massachusetts, has a higher crime rate than much of the United States. Currently, residents in Boston have a 1 in 153 chance of becoming a victim of crime. Unfortunately, insurance companies definitely look at this type of data when calculating what you’ll pay for a premium. If you are considered to live in a high risk area, you’ll pay more.
Boston has also been experiencing more flooding as of late. When purchasing renters insurance in Boston, you will definitely want to consider also purchasing flood insurance.
A standard renters policy does not protect you from damages from flood waters. Though you may be able to purchase flood insurance through your insurance provider, most renters opt to purchase it from the U.S. government’s FloodSmart program. To see if you live in an area prone to flooding, you can input your address into FEMA’s flood zone map.
How much does renters insurance cost in Boston?
The average cost for renters insurance in Boston is $191 a year, which is only $12 more than the national average of $179. A lot of factors influence the total cost you’ll pay for renters insurance. These include such things as:
- Deductible amount
- Type of policy you choose
- ACV (actual cash value) policy versus a replacement cost policy
- Property coverage amount
- Liability coverage amount
- Location of rental
- Applicable discounts
We welcome your feedback on this article and would love to hear about your experience with the insurers we recommend. Contact us at email@example.com with comments or questions.