With home prices on the rise, many people are renting homes and apartments instead of buying. At just $722 per month, rent is much cheaper in the Mount Rushmore State than the rest of the U.S., which averages $1,012.
Find the Best Renter Insurance
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.
Find the Best Renter Insurance
Save money on home insurance with our simple comparison tool.
The Insurance Information Institute (III) shows that South Dakota had the lowest average renters insurance cost in the country as of 2017 at $123 a year compared to the national average at $180. Because renters insurance is so relatively affordable for the coverage it provides, it is a worthwhile investment.
Best rental insurance companies in South Dakota
Most people have a lot of expenses, so most people want to find the most affordable renters insurance for the best coverage. To determine which companies are the best South Dakota renters insurance options, we analyzed companies based on their ratings from services like AM Best, which ranks providers based on how financially secure they are, and J.D. Power & Associates, which collects customer satisfaction data.
These are the four best rental insurance companies in South Dakota:
- Allstate: Allstate offers great accessibility with its mobile apps for bills, property documentation and claims processing. Allstate is also an excellent option for people who would like to bundle their renters insurance with other policies.
- American Family Insurance: AmFam provides replacement cost coverage, which will replace your lost or broken items with brand new items of a like kind. This can be excellent for people who are worried about their belongings depreciating in value and not having the money to replace items as they were.
- Safeco: Safeco has some of the most affordable rates and offers quality customer service. If you want to pair your renters insurance with auto insurance and you drive for a rideshare, Safeco might be a good option. Safeco has made a name for itself within the ridesharing space with special coverage for drivers of ridesharing companies like Lyft and Uber.
- State Farm: State Farm is top-ranked for the best customer service by J.D. Power, and its customers agree on sites like Consumer Reports and the Better Business Bureau that it is reliable for customer support.
- Safeco: $77
- State Farm: $85
- Allstate: $91
- American Family Insurance: $108.31
|American Family Insurance|
Cheapest South Dakota renters insurance insurance: Safeco
Out of the quotes we got, Safeco had the lowest rates. Customers can also lower their rates even more with Safeco’s discount options. You can get discounts for bundling insurance types, being a safe driver, taking an accident prevention course, driving less, having more than one car, having anti-theft devices on your car and owning your own home.
Best South Dakota renters insurance for customer service: State Farm
With State Farm, you can enjoy reliable coverage with great national availability. It comes paired with great affordability and high customer service ratings. State Farm also offers highly customizable coverage and has a user-friendly mobile app.
Best South Dakota renters insurance for mobile accessibility: Allstate
Allstate offers the best tools for online account management with two valuable mobile apps. Allstate Mobile is dedicated to account management, allowing you to access your policy information, pay your bill and file a claim.
Best replacement coverage for South Dakota renters insurance: American Family Insurance
American Family Insurance remains a top choice for renters insurance because it automatically includes replacement coverage for your lost or damaged items. This means that you will receive a replacement item of the same value and kind as the one you lost.
These are the average annual rates for South Dakota renters insurance based on a sample policy of a $30,000 personal property coverage, a $500 deductible, $100,000 in personal liability and $100,000 in medical payments to others.
Frequently asked questions
How much renters insurance do I need in South Dakota?
How much renters insurance you need depends on how much your belongings cost and how much your landlord requires. Landlords have the right to require renters insurance.
What is the cheapest renters insurance company in South Dakota?
While Safeco had the lowest rates based on our profile, your rate will depend on things like your location, car and driving history. Shop around to ensure that you have the best coverage at the cheapest price.
Is my roommate covered under my policy?
No, your roommate is not covered under your policy unless you purchase additional coverage.
What are the minimum insurance requirements in South Dakota?
South Dakota has strict requirements regarding rent in the state, but there are no minimum insurance requirements. Still, purchasing a comprehensive policy is always a good idea to protect your belongings.