The average cost of renters insurance in Washington is $163 annually, according to the Insurance Information Institute. When considering coverage, there are several things you want to keep in mind.
The first is your personal property. Renters insurance policies provide protection (to a specific amount) for your items if they incur damage resulting from theft, fire or water damage. With this in mind, it’s ideal to ballpark how much your items are worth. If you have high-end collectibles, artwork or designer furniture, you’ll want more coverage for these items.
Find the Best Renter Insurance
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.
Another key consideration is the insurance carrier. Some questions to ponder when examining each is:
- What’s the provider’s reputation for handling customer service issues?
- Is it easy to buy a policy with them?
- How do they process claims?
- How expensive or inexpensive are they compared to other providers?
Keeping these factors into account provides you with a baseline of what to look for when buying renters insurance.
Best rental insurance companies in Washington
Here are some of the best Washington renters insurance providers in the state:
- Allstate: Allstate provides a great combination of ease of use and customer service. The provider offers affordable coverage and has a great reputation, as evidenced by its A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau.
- State Farm: State Farm provides a great mix of value and customer service. It earned the highest rating for customer satisfaction, scoring a five-out-of-five rating with J.D. Power.
- Travelers: We chose Travelers as out of the best Washington renters insurance options because it is among the least expensive options available. It also has an excellent reputation, as it earned an A+ rating with the Better Business Bureau, indicating the company’s ability to resolve customer claims.
- USAA: Last, but certainly not least, is USAA. Though eligibility is only open for military members, veterans and their families, if you qualify, it’s by far the best option to consider. It earned the highest rating from J.D. Power for customer satisfaction, and the rates are among the most affordable.
To find the best providers, we examined a wide variety of factors including:
- Customer satisfaction (J.D. Power ratings through a survey)
- Financial strength (AM Best rating)
- Overall customer service (Better Business Bureau rating)
Using these metrics, here’s how each of the top four providers compares to each other:
|Provider||J.D. Power score||BBB Grade||AM Best rating|
When buying renters insurance, not all policies will be the best fit for your situation. With this in mind, here are some of the best options depending on your needs:
The cheapest Washington renters insurance: State Farm
State Farm is an excellent option to consider because it has affordable rates and friendly service. It’s easy to receive a quote through its website, and if you have any problems, the five out of five rating with J.D. Power indicates they’ll resolve your issues promptly.
The best Washington renters insurance for military families: USAA
If you’re in the military, USAA is going to be the wisest choice for you. It is the industry standard in customer service, and it has some of the most affordable rates available.
The best Washington renters insurance for discounts: Allstate
Allstate has several discounts, including a multi-policy discount, a safe home discount of up to 15% if you have home security devices, a 5% discount for automatic payments, a discount of up to 25% for people 55 and older and a discount of up to 20% for being claims free. These discounts can help you save a lot of money.
The best Washington renters insurance for coverage options: Travelers
Travelers has some of the best options if you want extended coverage. The jewelry and valuable items coverage or umbrella insurance options are good for people who are worried about liability or expensive items.
Frequently asked questions
How much renters insurance do I need in Washington?
How much renters insurance you need depends on the value of your items and your landlord requirements (if any.) If you have more expensive items in your apartment, you’ll want a higher limit to account for the value of them in the off chance they’re damaged.
What’s the best renters insurance company in Washington?
It’s hard to beat the mix of value and excellent customer service State Farm delivers. If you’re affiliated with the military, USAA is going to be the best option to consider.
What does renters insurance include?
Along with personal property, renters insurance has a personal liability component. With this, if someone has an injury in your home, your carrier provides financial assistance for their medical bills to a specified amount. Also, many renters insurance companies also provide loss-of-use coverage. This gives you financial assistance if you have to leave your apartment due to a covered event and you need temporary living expenses covered.