We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
Ameriprise Auto Insurance Review
In late 2019, Ameriprise was acquired by American Family, one of the top insurance companies in the United States. After the acquisition, Ameriprise Auto and Property Insurance was rebranded under the name CONNECT, which is powered by American Family Insurance.
Drivers can still purchase auto insurance through Ameriprise, but the actual coverage is supplied by American Family. The recent switch comes with a number of perks for drivers. American Family is a reliable and reputable insurance company, with impressive financial strength and ratings.
We reviewed CONNECT auto insurance using the SimpleScore method, which compares discounts, additional coverage, customer satisfaction, support and accessibility.
Ameriprise at a glance
|In business||1927 (American Family founding date)|
|Best for||Drivers who want to manage their policy online|
|Not for||High-risk drivers|
|Standout features||Stolen key coverage|
|Flexible payment plans||Special benefits for Costco members|
|Available bundles||Auto and home, auto and umbrella, auto, home and umbrella|
What we like about Ameriprise
Online policy management
With CONNECT, it’s easy to manage your policy online, so it’s a great option for drivers who are looking for the ultimate convenience. Some of the actions you can complete online include making a payment, downloading your policy documents, adding, removing or replacing a vehicle, adding or removing drivers, updating your driver’s license number, updating your vehicle’s VIN number, and much more.
Great coverage options
CONNECT has a number of great coverage options for drivers who want to be able to customize their policy. In addition to basic coverages, CONNECT sells roadside assistance, rental car reimbursement, gap insurance, personal injury protection coverage, accident travel expense coverage, and more. If you buy comprehensive coverage, you’ll also get stolen key expense coverage, which covers the cost of a stolen key and replacing your locks.
CONNECT might not be the cheapest car insurance company, but you can save money by taking advantage of discounts. The company offers a number of common discounts, like taking a defensive driving course, having vehicle safety features, and being a good student. Drivers in certain states can also save money if they keep their vehicle in a garage overnight.
Things to consider
One of the downsides of CONNECT is that it’s not available everywhere. Drivers in Alaska, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Wyoming, and North Dakota can’t get coverage from CONNECT. Additionally, many of the coverages and discounts are state-specific. For instance, only drivers in California can claim the good driver discount. Before you purchase insurance through CONNECT, it’s a good idea to speak with an agent to find out what coverages and discounts are available where you live.
Ameriprise vs. the competition
Geico car insurance is known for being cheap. The coverages are basic, and the customer service is pretty lacking, but you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better rate. Compared to CONNECT, Geico’s rates are less expensive, but both companies offer roughly the same number of discounts. Like CONNECT, Geico customers can manage their policy online, but there aren’t quite as many options.
Read our full Geico review.
Allstate is known for its flexible coverages, discounts, and online tools. We also found that Allstate was one of the best companies for insurance bundling. It shares a few key similarities with CONNECT, but Allstate falls short when it comes to reviews and customer satisfaction. Although Allstate has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, the company has closed over 1,300 customer complaints in the last three years. American Family, the insurer behind CONNECT, has an A rating, but only 236 complaints in the same timeframe.
Read our full Allstate review.
Progressive is one of the top car insurance companies on the market. In addition to great coverages and discounts, the company also offers amazing online tools and resources. Progressive’s Name Your Price tool helps drivers find the best coverage for their budget, and you can even compare Progressive’s prices with its competitors. CONNECT has online claims and a blog with insurance-related articles, but Progressive’s online tools go above and beyond.
Read our full Progressive review.
Ameriprise auto insurance rates
CONNECT doesn’t advertise its auto insurance costs online. That’s because every driver will pay a slightly different rate based on their state, age, credit score, claims history, and more. To determine how much you’ll pay for CONNECT auto insurance, you can get a quote online. You’ll be asked to provide some personal information, as well as information about your vehicle, to help determine your rate.
Additionally, drivers who get CONNECT insurance are eligible for a variety of discounts. The discounts vary by state, but you can save money by taking a defensive driving course, paying your policy in full, and having certain safety features installed in your car. Keep reading below for a complete list of discounts that CONNECT offers.
[ Read: How Does Age Affect Car Insurance Rates? ]
Amerprise’s auto insurance coverage
- Full coverage: CONNECT offers full coverage car insurance, including collision, comprehensive, liability, property damage, medical payments, and uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage.
- Roadside assistance: If you get stranded on the side of the road, CONNECT will help you pay for towing and on-site repairs.
- Rental car reimbursement: If your car is damaged in a covered accident, CONNECT will pay for daily rental car fees while your car is in the shop.
- Gap insurance: If your car is leased, you can purchase gap insurance from CONNECT to cover the difference in your car’s value and the remaining balance on your payments.
- Personal injury protection: Drivers who live in a no-fault state can purchase personal injury protection (PIP) coverage through CONNECT.
- Glass repair deductible waiver: If your windshield is damaged in a covered event, and it’s repairable, CONNECT will waive your deductible.
- Stolen key expense coverage: This coverage, which is included with all comprehensive policies, covers the cost of a stolen key and lock replacement.
- Accident travel expense coverage: If you get into an accident more than 100 miles from home and your car isn’t driveable, CONNECT will help you pay for travel and other accommodations.
Ameriprise auto insurance discounts
- Good driver (CA only)
- Clean driving record
- Defensive driving course
- Vehicle safety features
- Good student
- Student away at school
- College degree
- Customer loyalty
- Garaged car
- Costco member discounts
How to submit an auto insurance claim with Ameriprise
Filing a claim with CONNECT is quick and easy. Here’s how to do it.
- File a claim online or call CONNECT’s 24/7 claims hotline (1-800-872-5246).
- Wait for a claims representative to contact you. You’ll be asked to verify what happened, provide video and photo evidence, and share the police report (if you have one). Then, the rep will review your coverage and talk about next steps.
- If your vehicle is badly damaged, the claims representative might schedule time for the car to be evaluated at an auto body shop. If the car is totaled, the insurance company will give you an estimate of the replacement value.
- If you want to repair your car, you can choose the auto body shop, or have CONNECT help you find one.
Ameriprise online and mobile app
CONNECT is a great option for people who want to manage their policy online. Their website is easy to navigate, there’s tons of features, and there’s an option for online quotes and claims. There’s also an online learning center with a few helpful articles on safe driving and car maintenance.
CONNECT’s online tools aren’t better than Allstate’s or State Farm’s, but for most people, the tools they do offer are good enough. There is one downside—CONNECT doesn’t offer a mobile app.
Ameriprise home, auto and life
CONNECT offers a few different bundling options. Customers can bundle their auto and home, auto and umbrella, or auto, home and umbrella insurance for a discount on their premium.
Ameriprise in the news
- In August 2020, Insurance Journal reported that Ameriprise was officially renamed CONNECT, after being acquired by American Family in a $1 billion deal. According to the article, “American Family said the CONNECT rebrand furthers its goal of transforming from a regional insurance company that sold products through exclusive agency owners to a national multi-line multi-distribution channel insurance group.”
- In April 2020, American Family announced that it would be returning up to $200 million to customers during the COVID-19 pandemic. This included CONNECT customers, who received a one-time payment of $50 per vehicle on their policy.
Last updated August 17, 2020 – Updated SimpleScore data.
We welcome your feedback on this article and would love to hear about your experience with the auto insurance companies we recommend. Contact us at email@example.com with comments or questions.