We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, American Express, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
Ameriprise Home Insurance Review
Ameriprise has seen a lot of change since its 1894 inception. Today, its healthy home and insurance sector is run by American Family Insurance. American Family Insurance is the company that underwrites policies using its home insurance program, CONNECT. If you are a Costco member with a valid membership, you can purchase home insurance through the Costco Insurance Agency, Inc. for extra savings and convenience for all of your insurance needs.
Using our proprietary SimpleScore grading system, we analyze insurance companies based on discounts, coverage, customer satisfaction, support and accessibility to find the best home insurance companies.
America’s top-rated home insurance
- Policies starting at just $25/month
- Sign up in seconds, claims paid in minutes
- Zero hassle, zero paperwork
Ameriprise at a glance
|In business||Since 1894|
|States served||44 states and Washington, D.C.|
|Best for||Property owners looking for comprehensive, full-service coverage|
|Not for||Homeowners who value customer service|
|Standout features||Special inclusions like earthquake and mine protection|
|Available bundles||Home, auto, life|
What we like about Ameriprise home insurance
With the power of Costco, Ameriprise home insurance is incredibly accessible. It’s easy to take advantage of special offers and benefit from the exclusive savings when you are a Costco member.
Ameriprise is a part of a large conglomerate specializing in finance and insurance. As such, you can enjoy widespread access with coverage in 44 states and Washington, D.C.
Ameriprise focuses on the big picture when it comes to your protection, offering tons of valuable services in-house like auto and life insurance, in addition to thoughtful and unique caveats like earthquake protection.
[ Read: Best Homeowners Insurance Companies ]
Things to consider
More complaints than usual
Although American Family Insurance ranks about average in J.D. Power customer satisfaction polls, the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) shows that Ameriprise received more complaints than usual for a company of its size and operation. For many members, Ameriprise customer service could use some work.
A 2019 merger by American Family Insurance is what prompted Ameriprise to change its branding from its traditional moniker to American Family Connect. However, the company still uses the name Ameriprise, so despite the brand recognition, it can get a little confusing at times.
Ameriprise home insurance vs. the competition
Ameriprise’s home insurance rates
Ameriprise does not publicly publish its rates. In order to receive details on home, life and auto insurance, you must call and speak with a representative who will give you personalized pricing based on your specific needs.
In general, Costco members save an average of almost $600 in their first year after switching to Ameriprise and CONNECT home insurance.
Ameriprise home insurance coverage
- Identity theft coverage up to $5,000
- Credit card and check fraud protection
- Food spoilage reimbursement up to $500
- Lock replacement up to $100
- Glass repair replacement up to $1,000 twice a year
- Home lockout assistance up to $100
- Other structures coverage
- Scheduled personal property
- Homeowners endorsements
- Earthquake insurance
- Mine subsidence insurance
- Medical payments coverage
Ameriprise home insurance discounts
Ameriprise offers several discounts that can apply to your home insurance policy
- New home discount
- Claims-free discount
- Safe home discount
- Multiple policy discount
- Loyalty discount
- Renovation discounts
- Special savings for Costco members
- Personal Property Protection Packages
How to submit a home insurance claim with Ameriprise
Ameriprise does offer accident forgiveness if you have been claim-free for more than three years, so filing a claim could impact your future insurance rates.
Ameriprise makes the claim process easy with these simple four steps.
- Report the incident. Call Ameriprise at 1-800-872-5246 to give details about the accident, review your coverage and prepare your deductible.
- Choose a contractor. If you don’t have your own contractor, Ameriprise will pair you with a licensed and insured professional who can handle all of the necessary repairs.
- Work with the claims adjuster. Ameriprise will also partner you with a personal claims adjuster who will assist you with all of the details of your claim.
- Inventory lost items. If there are any items that are lost from the damage, you can file an official inventory with Ameriprise for replacement.
[ Next: How to File a Home Insurance Claim ]
Ameriprise online and mobile app
Ameriprise offers an app for iPhone and Android devices, but its functionality is limited to its financial services. If you want to manage your insurance policy, you can do so online using the regular Ameriprise website.
Ameriprise home, auto and life
Ameriprise definitely looks out for its own, offering existing customers exclusive loyalty discounts for carrying more than one type of account with the company. Its insurance offerings include home, auto and life with special features like lifetime renewability and personal property protection packages designed to work in conjunction with financial accounts.
Check out our full review for Ameriprise auto insurance and explore your options for Ameriprise life insurance.
Ameriprise in the news
- In 2005, Ameriprise became the new name of the company after a rebranding from the American Express Financial Advisors. Says Jim Cracchiolo, chairman and CEO at the time, “The name Ameriprise reflects both our history and our strengths as one of the leading financial services firms in the United States. It also embodies the enterprising culture our people bring to bear in helping provide our clients the peace of mind that comes with planning for a secure financial future. We help people achieve the ‘prize’ of the American dream.”
- Change came again in 2019, when Ameriprise Financial sold its home and auto insurance business to American Family Insurance for more than $1 billion.
- On June 15, 2020, Ameriprise Financial announced that it is expanding its repertoire, adding home lending solutions via Embrace Home Loans for yet another option for your comprehensive insurance coverage.
We welcome your feedback on this article and would love to hear about your experience with the home insurance companies we recommend. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with comments or questions.