We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, American Express, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
Chubb Auto Insurance Review 2020
Chubb insurance overview
Chubb has been selling insurance both in the U.S. and globally for more than 100 years. The company prides itself on its attention to detail and going the extra steps to create a positive customer experience. Organizations that assess customer service, such as the Better Business Bureau and National Association of Insurance Commissioners agree: Chubb routinely earns scores above the industry average. Chubb car insurance services all 50 states and 53 other countries.
Chubb offers standard auto insurance options. Included in Chubb’s basic offerings are some unusual extras, including generous rental car reimbursement of up to $15,000, worldwide rental car coverage and reimbursement for using original equipment manufacturer (OEM) parts. Chubb’s coverages also come with higher limits than other companies, including up to $10 million in personal liability coverage.
One unique coverage is if your vehicle is totaled, Chubb will pay to have all your personal information and data, including phone numbers and garage door codes deleted from the car’s computers.
Optional add-ons include classic car coverage, agreed value coverage, road service coverage and coverage that will pay off your lease, even if it’s more than the car is worth.
Although Chubb insurance company is widely known for excellent customer service, it prefers you to work directly with an agent. There’s no online quote tool, as many insurers have, so you need to make a phone call to get a premium price for your vehicle. The company does have a useful app that allows you to pay your bill, make a claim, and otherwise manage your account. You can also file a claim at their website.
|Price||Varies by location, vehicle and other factors|
|Best for||Classic car owners|
High-end car owners
|Not for||Those looking for a bargain|
Defensive driving (if over 65)
|States served||50, plus 53 other countries|
|In business since||1882|
|Better Business Bureau rating||A+|
|AM Best Rating||A++|
|Standout features||Excellent customer service|
White glove treatment
Chubb insurance rates
Chubb insurance is not going to have the lowest possible rates for your auto insurance. All those extra perks and great coverage options come at a price, and Chubb has focused on cultivating the high-wealth customer market.
Sample quotes for a standard policy in California on a Honda Accord may include the following:
|30 year old female||$4,376|
Quotes sourced from California Department of Insurance, via insurance.com.
The Simple Dollar’s Chubb auto insurance review
Chubb offers several features that make it a winner for some people.
Chubb coverage options are fairly extensive in it’s basic Masterpiece policy, and may include:
- Bodily injury liability: This pays if someone in the other car is injured in an accident.
- Property damage liability: This pays if the other car in an accident or another person’s property such as a fence or building is damaged.
- Medical payments (MedPay) and personal injury protection (PIP): These cover medical costs to the driver and passenger in the policyholder’s car.
- Collision: If a policyholder’s car is damaged by a collision or other road accident, this coverage pays.
- Comprehensive: This pays for damage caused by anything that’s not a collision, from theft to hitting a deer.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: If the person in the other car doesn’t have any or enough insurance or the policyholder is in a hit-and-run, this will pay for losses.
Chubb insurance discounts
Although there aren’t a lot, Chubb does offer some standard discounts to bring down your premium costs:
- Anti-theft device
- Anti-lock brakes
- Airbag, passive restraint, or daytime running lights
- Defensive driving course
Other unique features
Here is where Chubb excels with features such as the following:
- Use of original manufacturer (OEM) parts in all repairs.
- High coverage limits, including up to $10 million for liability and $1 million for uninsured motorist.
- Agreed value coverage, which means you and the company agree on the value of the car at the beginning of the policy and that value remains constant throughout the life of the policy with no depreciation. This option is particularly useful for classic cars.
- Worldwide rental car coverage and rental car reimbursement of up to $15,000.
- Pet coverage.
- Claims settlement in any of the 54 countries Chubb serves.
- Child seat replacement.
Because one provider might not be the best for everyone, it can be helpful to compare it to other similar providers.
- Amica Insurance: We named Amica best overall in our Best Car Insurance Companies of 2020 review. With top rankings from J.D. Power and Consumer Reports, Amica competes with Chubb insurance reviews in the best customer service category.
- Geico: Also a top provider on our listing, Geico scores well for customer service and offers a smooth experience for policyholders using its website and app.
- Progressive: If you’re looking for inexpensive quotes, Progressive should be on your list. It offers competitive pricing and an extensive array of discounts to bring your premium prices down even more.
- USAA: This company ranks up with Amica for customer service, and its prices compare to Progressive. The only limiting factor is that it sells policies just to current and former military members and their families.
What others are saying
Insurance Journal posted an article on how Chubb is navigating Coronavirus and its impact on growth. CEO Evan Greenberg insisted that the company had “strong fundamentals,” but admitted that the times are challenging ones for the company, and in the short term, its profits will be impacted. Having said that, though, the company also announced sizeable grants for pandemic relief to charitable organizations such as Feeding America.
Chubb recently became the first major U.S. insurer to divest itself from writing policies for coal-fired power plants. The report says investors are pushing companies like Chubb to distance themselves from companies that contribute to climate change.
Several industry journals, including Carrier Management, reported that Chubb had sustained a hacker attack that may have compromised company data. Chubb says it’s working with law enforcement to track down the details, but denied that customer information had been stolen.
Chubb’s auto insurance simplified
- If you can afford to insure your car with Chubb, you’ll receive white glove treatment and lots of perks.
- Extensive coverage options, some of them standard, outshine the offerings of most other insurers.
- The company is not for bargain hunters, with premium prices that range near the top of the pack among insurers.
- The website and app have Chubb online payments set up and work hard to make the customer experience smooth and efficient.