Erie homeowners insurance is equipped to seamlessly solve the many disasters that happen every day in homes all around the country.
Founded in Pennsylvania in 1925, Erie Insurance was first an automotive insurance company that expanded to home and life insurance, retirement planning and business support. Today Erie Insurance is within the top 10 homeowners insurance providers. Find the Best Home Insurance Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate. Find the Best Home Insurance Save money on home insurance with our simple comparison tool.
Find the Best Home Insurance
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.
Find the Best Home Insurance
Save money on home insurance with our simple comparison tool.
Here is a quick snapshot with everything you need to know about Erie homeowners insurance.
|Price||Among the lowest-priced home insurance with comprehensivecoverage.|
|Best for||Consumers on a budget looking for customizable coverage.|
|Not for||Those living outside the coverage area; coverage areas are alsolimited to certain features.|
|States served||Washington, D.C., Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Maryland, NewYork, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginiaand Wisconsin.|
|Discounts||Advanced Quote DiscountFire and Burglary Alarm CreditGuaranteed Replacement CostMulti-Policy DiscountSprinkler System Credit|
|A.M. Best Rating||A+|
|Standout features||Superior customer service with quick claims processing andaffordable pricing.|
Erie Insurance claims some of the lowest rates in the country and fast claims processing times. They proclaim a client satisfaction rate of over 90%, but is it true?
Is it true?
Erie Insurance receives regular accolades, such as an A+ rating for financial strength by AM Best with a place on the Fortune 500 rankings for 16 years running. With 24/7 customer service, 365 days a year, customer satisfaction still remains the benchmark of Erie Insurance.
Twelve thousand independent agents manage over five million policies because the company does not sell directly to homeowners. The company only serves Washington, D.C., and 12 states, so the limited coverage area could make them inaccessible.
Our deep dive
Erie Insurance is affordable and offers extra protection for all your needs.
- Animal coverage: covers your pets for injuries up to $500.
- Exterior structures: protects outbuildings and other structures unattached to the primary residence.
- Flood insurance: protects properties in low lying areas or flood zones.
- Guaranteed replacement cost: pays the full cost of your home without deductions for wear and tear.
- Home business coverage: protects your home office with coverage of the equipment, tools and supplies in your office.
- Identity theft: protection reimburses expenses related to credit theft and also helps restore your credit.
- Personal liability: will not hold liable if there is injury to visitors or their things on your property.
- Personal valuables coverage: includes protection for valuables like jewelry, firearms and electronics.
- Rental income protection: covers damages to your rental property and reimburses lost rental income.
- Service line protection: covers utility and service lines running below your home to the curb, including gas, electric and water lines.
- Water backup and sump overflow: covers sewers and drains if there is a clogged drain, blocked sewer line or failed sump pump.
The cost of your home insurance varies from property to property because every home is different and has unique needs. Erie Insurance aims to cover them all at a price you can afford.
Standard policies are available, as well as extra protections for your home and belongings. Where you live can also determine price, especially if your area is prone to hurricanes, earthquakes or tornados. These states pay a higher premium because damages are more likely to occur.
Cheaper (or free!) alternatives
With Erie homeowners insurance, it’s easy to lower the cost with all of the options available. Your policy is customized based on your needs, and most customers receive an average of 20% in discounts.
Here is how to find the best discounts for you.
- Advanced quote discount: You will receive a special discount when you renew your policy within 7-60 days of termination.
- Fire and burglary alarm credit: Lower your costs with smoke alarms, burglary alarms and security systems within your home.
- Guaranteed replacement cost: Erie Insurance will replace your home without any losses from depreciation and wear and tear.
- Multi-policy discount: When you bundle your auto and home insurance policies, you can receive up to 25% off your plan.
- Sprinkler system credit: Homes with a sprinkler system receive a credit on their policies.
- Storm safeguards: Updated plumbing and electrical systems lower your premium. So do storm shutters, windows and doors.
Ask your agent about full coverage and any available discounts for your policy.
To see how Erie Insurance stacks up against the competition, we explore popular insurance companies.
Amica Mutual was given an A+ rating from AM Best and is J.D. Power’s 2018 best homeowners insurance company for the 17th consecutive year. Amica received perfect scores for things like customer service, claims processing and overall satisfaction. Given these accolades, Amica Mutual is one of the most reliable companies around.
USAA is popular for its comprehensive homeowner insurance coverage covering losses from fire, theft and vandalism. USAA offers home-sharing coverage, something Erie Insurance does not have. This includes damages from renters, regardless of whether they rent a single room or your entire property. USAA is limited to military members and family, but it is highly rated from J.D. Power and Consumer Affairs.
State Farm has an A++ rating by AM Best, outshining most companies. State Farm is far more expensive than Erie Insurance, costing about $60 more a month. Certain features are not available to all policies, and many things like flood insurance do not come standard like they do with Erie home insurance.
Nationwide and Erie Insurance are about the same cost and share an A+ Best Rating. Nationwide offers online estimates, while Erie Insurance does not, but Nationwide received some of the lowest scores from U.S. News for home insurance. Standard coverage is limited, so it may get expensive as you add extras.
What others are saying
Erie Insurance comes highly respected and recommended for home insurance.
They have received top ratings from J.D. Power, AM Best and the Better Business Bureau.
Erie’s homeowners insurance comes highly recommended by U.S. News and Consumer Affairs, who added that “many customers have been with the company for decades.”
Client reviews continually praise Erie Insurance, calling them reliable and stable, and the National Association of Insurance Commissioners found that complaints fall well below the national average.
U.S. News’ also found Erie Insurance the cheapest amongst its competitors.
The bottom line
Across the board, Erie Insurance excels as the top company for homeowners insurance, and continued innovation will only improve the company’s popularity.
Its flexibility, stability and affordability make it one of the industry’s best if you happen to live within its service area.