We all know Flo – Progressive car insurance’s quirky commercial personality. Flo uses humor and storytelling to explain how consumers can save by switching to Progressive auto insurance. But is there any truth to her claims? Progressive insurance reviews say there is.
Based on our findings, if you’re considering a new car insurance policy to save money, you’ll want to be aware of Progressive discounts. Keep reading to learn what their policies include as well as what discounts may be available, like the Progressive defensive driving discount.
Compare Affordable Car Insurance Rates
Progressive insurance review overview
|Price||Varies by location, vehicle and other factors|
|Best for||Drivers on a budget and drivers looking for discounts|
|Not For||People who like having extra insurance perks like generous rental car coverage|
|In business since||1937|
|Better Business Bureau rating||B-|
|A.M. Best Rating||A+|
|Standout features||Get huge discounts when you bundle policies for your car and your home.
Receive a discount for paying your six-month policy in full.
A+ (Superior) rating for financial strength and claims payment ability from AM Best Company.
Get a free, no-obligation quote online.
Progressive insurance rates
Progressive claims new customers save $699 on average when they switch. And Progressive makes it easy to find out fast using its online quote tool.
One real benefit that comes with shopping for car insurance with Progressive is the fact that you can get a free, no-obligation quote online after providing some basic information. In some cases, Progressive may even have access to your vehicle information once you provide your name and address. This makes the entire quote process run more smoothly because you can expedite your application and skip over the information regarding your auto make and model, age and mileage.
The primary information Progressive needs to process your quote includes:
- Your name
- Auto type
- Length of time you’ve had a driver’s license
- Moving violations in the last three years, if any
- Housing status
- Current auto insurance status
- Add-on coverage you prefer
- Preferred coverage limits
- Discounts you may qualify for
Once you provide all the details Progressive asks for, it will offer you a selection of free quotes that vary depending on how much coverage you want to buy. You can even select a start date for your policy, ensuring it will be ready to go when you need it.
The more information you can provide, the more accurate your different cost rundowns will be. The more information you can provide, the more accurate your different cost rundowns will be. Below, you can find a table with the rates we received for the profile that we constructed.
For the purpose of these rates, the profile used was: a single male, aged 30-35, with a high school degree, employed full-time and with a clean driving record. The vehicle used was a 2013 Dodge Grand Caravan. These rates are for a six-month policy and were calculated before most discounts could be applied, so your numbers may be even lower. These rates were gathered using the insurance quote tool for progressive through insurance.com.
|Package||First payment||Following 5 monthly payments||Pay-in-full|
The Simple Dollar’s Progressive Insurance review
Like other companies that offer auto insurance, Progressive lets you customize your policy to meet your unique needs. They also offer three basic “tiers” of coverage you can choose from as you build out your policy — basic, choice and recommended.
Progressive’s basic (bare bones) auto insurance policies come with lower policy limits and no additional coverage for medical payments or underinsured and uninsured motorists. They offer numerous discounts that can help you save on auto insurance as well as other policies that you may choose to buy. The main discounts that you can apply to your Progressive car insurance are listed below in our Progressive discount section.
It is also worth noting that you can have some say in the deductible you’ll need to pay to access your coverage. Choosing a higher deductible may help you secure lower monthly Progressive auto insurance premiums, whereas a lower deductible will cost more each month but lead to lower out-of-pocket costs if you need to file a claim.
When you step up from their basic tier and choose their choice or recommended coverage, they add:
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: This coverage is crucial if you’re in an accident with an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
- Medical payments: Kicks in to take care of medical bills in the event you or other passengers are injured in your vehicle.
- Rental reimbursement: Can provide you with reimbursement if you need to pay for a rental car while your own insured vehicle is being repaired.
- Towing and labor costs: Can cover towing and labor costs if your vehicle is out of service.
- Comprehensive coverage: Additional coverage that kicks in to repair your vehicle no matter the cause of the damage.
- Collision coverage: This coverage will fix your car even if you were at fault in an accident.
Progressive car insurance offers a wide range of Progressive discounts for consumers from all walks of life, and Progressive currently has over 18 million auto insurance customers. The company also offers insurance for your home, as well as coverage for recreational vehicles including boats and motorcycles. The best part is, Progressive makes it easy to get a free insurance quote online, so you don’t have to pay a visit to the insurance agent’s office.
Every state requires auto insurance but has different requirements. Try lowering your premiums by:
- Choose a higher deductible. It will raise your out-of-pocket costs in an accident but will reduce your monthly premiums.
- Pay your premium annually instead of monthly for a discount.
- Limit how many miles you drive per year.
- Work on improving your credit to get a better rate.
- Take a defensive driver course and tell your insurance company. You could earn a good discount.
Beyond these guidelines, there are multiple specific Progressive discounts offered by the insurance company. These discounts are:
- Multi-policy discounts: You can save 5% to 15% for bundling multiple insurance policies with Progressive, such as your auto and home insurance or auto insurance and boat insurance.
- Snapshot: This program helps you get a lower rate by monitoring your actual driving activity.
- Safe driver discount: Save an average of 31% if you haven’t had any accidents or traffic violations in the last three years.
- Multi-car discount: Save an average of 10% for bundling more than one car in your Progressive auto insurance policy.
- Homeowner discount: Save an average of 10% for owning your home, even if you don’t bundle your homeowner’s insurance with Progressive.
- Paperless statements: Sign for your policy online and ask for paperless statements to save even more.
- Good student discount: College and high school students with at least a B average can qualify for even more discounts.
- Progressive defensive driving discount: By enrolling in and completing a defensive driving class, you can get a discount on your annual premiums.
In our 2019 Best Cheap Car Insurance Companies report three companies dominated: Geico, Progressive and State Farm. There are many variables when it comes to car insurance, and it’s always important to double-check prices by getting quotes from several companies to confirm.
Progressive’s main price competitors are:
- Geico: Geico is our low price winner but it received only average reviews across the board in the J.D. Power insurance survey.
- State Farm: State Farm is the nation’s largest auto insurer. Known best for outstanding customer service, it’s the choice for shoppers looking for a balance between affordability and excellent customer service.
What Others Are Saying
At The Simple Dollar, we aim to provide a general overview of each insurer’s products and services through a standard rating process. We reviewed the most recent claims satisfaction and overall customer satisfaction studies from J.D. Power, customer reviews from Consumer Affairs and other sources, and financial solvency reports from A.M. Best. After a thorough research and discovery period, here’s how Progressive auto insurance stacks up:
|Progressive Auto Insurance at a Glance|
The Bottom Line
If you’re in the market for auto insurance, you might as well give Progressive a chance to earn your business. Applying for a free quote online is a breeze, and you can even customize your policy if you want higher coverage limits or special add-ons.
Still, you should compare pricing with at least three insurance companies before you settle on a new policy. By shopping around and making an apples to apples comparison, you can ensure you’re not paying more than you need to for a similar level of coverage.
Compare Affordable Car Insurance Rates