We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, American Express, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
The Hartford Auto Insurance Review
The Hartford offers affordable and comprehensive auto insurance for drivers over 50.
The Hartford auto insurance promises affordable rates, quality coverage and excellent customer service. It offers insurance to drivers of all ages but focuses on serving AARP members, offering them benefits that can’t be found elsewhere — like lifetime renewability and extra in-home assistance following an accident.
In terms of price, The Hartford’s not the best option. This is especially true for younger drivers or those with multiple accidents on their record who are considered to be “higher risk.” If you’re on a tight budget, you may want to go with a company known for its low rates, like Progressive or Geico.
The Hartford Auto Insurance overview
The Hartford was founded in 1810 and is one of the oldest insurance companies in the United States. One of the major benefits of The Hartford is that it sells insurance in all 50 states. Certain competitors, like Erie and Auto-Owners, have a much more limited coverage area.
The company also has excellent financial strength ratings, with an A+ rating from AM Best, an A+ rating from S&P and an A1 rating from Moody’s. Being a financially strong company means The Hartford has the money to reimburse drivers for their insurance claims.
Specifically, The Hartford is one of the best auto insurance providers for drivers who belong to AARP. The membership unlocks discounts and certain standout features, like accident forgiveness, disappearing deductible and a 12-month rate lock.
|Price||Varies by location, vehicle and other factors|
|Best For||AARP Members|
|Not For||Young Drivers|
Defensive driver course
Driver training course
Hybrid or electric vehicle
|In Business Since||1810|
|Stand Out Features||12-month rate protection|
Reimbursement for home services following an accident
Classic car coverage
Cannot be refused renewal
The Hartford offers all major types of car insurance coverage, including liability, uninsured and underinsured motorist, collision, comprehensive and personal injury protection.
If you’re willing to pay a little extra, you can add accident forgiveness and a disappearing deductible to your policy, which could translate into big savings if you have an accident down the road. The Hartford also offers specialized insurance for classic cars, cars that include full coverage for the vehicle and injuries (exact coverage vary by state).
For older drivers, particularly members of the AARP, The Hartford is likely the best deal you will find. Once you purchase your policy, your rate is locked in for one year. After that, you’re guaranteed lifetime renewability, so long as you maintain your driver’s license and keep paying your premiums.
The Hartford also offers special coverage options tailored to seniors, like its RecoverCare service, which pays for home services like cleaning and lawn care if you find yourself unable to do this work following an accident.
Younger drivers, on the other hand, may find The Hartford auto insurance rates to be among their most expensive quotes. If this is the case for you, you may want to consider another company like Progressive or Geico, which are known for offering affordable rates to younger drivers.
Each car insurer has its own quote algorithm, which uses personal information (age, address, marital status, etc.) and driving factors (vehicle make and model, accident history, etc.) to determine your level of accident risk. Though all insurers look at the same data, they weigh them slightly differently, which is why you get different rates from different companies. Shop around and get several quotes before making a final decision.
If I’m on a budget, should I consider The Hartford?
If you’re over 50 and are a member of AARP, The Hartford is an extremely affordable auto insurance provider. In fact, The Hartford offers some of the lowest rates for AARP members. If you fit the criteria, a policy with The Harford can definitely fit within a limited budget.
The Hartford isn’t the most budget-friendly provider for younger drivers. To get any discounts from The Hartford, you must be an AARP member. Because of that, we don’t recommend this company for any driver under 50 who is on a budget.
To determine how much money you could save with The Hartford, get a quote online and provide your AARP member number.
Overall, The Hartford has good customer experience. In J.D. Power’s 2020 U.S. Auto Insurance Study, The Hartford was ranked as the top mid-size insurance provider for purchase experience customer satisfaction. The company scored 895/1,000, which surpassed competitors like Erie, American Family and Amica.
Here is what you’ll get with The Hartford:
- 24/7 claims service: The Hartford has representatives standing by 24/7 to assist you if you need to file a claim. You can do this online, over the phone, or through one of the company’s mobile apps. Once you’ve submitted a claim, you can track its progress every step of the way until it’s resolved.
- Assistance if your car breaks down: The Hartford offers towing coverage if your car breaks down and needs to be brought to a repair shop. And if it’s going to be there for a while, The Hartford will also reimburse you for the cost of renting a car in the meantime.
- Mobile access: The Hartford has mobile apps available for Android and iOS devices. You can use these apps to view your policy documents, pay your bill, and check on the status of claims. You can also request roadside assistance and contact a customer service representative directly if you have any questions.
The Hartford offers standard auto coverages. Drivers can choose to increase or decrease their coverage and policy limits based on their needs. The following auto insurance coverages are standard with all policies from The Hartford:
- Bodily injury: This coverage can help with medical expenses and lost income that come about as a result of an accident where you are ruled to be at fault and injure people other than yourself or your passengers.
- Property damage liability: This helps cover the financial costs you may face if you get into an accident and are found responsible for the damage to someone else’s property.
- Uninsured and underinsured motorist: This insurance is designed to protect you and your fellow passengers if you are hit by another driver who is either uninsured or doesn’t have enough insurance to pay for resulting bodily or property damage that you suffer.
- Collision: This car insurance helps cover the costs to repair your vehicle after an auto accident.
- Comprehensive: Excluding the deductible amount, this insurance helps pay for damage to your covered vehicle (up to its actual cash value) caused by things other than an accident. This includes theft, broken glass, wind, hail, fire and collisions with or caused by animals.
Deals, discounts and add-ons
If you’re looking for a company that offers great discounts and add-on coverages, The Hartford is a provider to look at. AARP members get access to a number of discounts that canlower your premium. Additionally, The Hartford offers standout add-on coverages that allow drivers to fully customize their policy.
Here are the discounts and add-ons to know about:
Ways to save
- Bundle insurance: With The Hartford, you can save up to 5 percent on auto and 20 percent on home, condo or renters insurance when you bundle them together.
- Defensive driver course: When you complete an approved defensive driver course, you can receive a credit to your insurance premium for up to three weeks after completion.
- Anti-theft device: If your car is equipped with devices such as tracking devices and alarms, you can save on your comprehensive automobile insurance.
- Airbags: If your car has an airbag, you can enjoy additional savings on your AARP The Hartford auto insurance. The more airbags your car has, the more you save.
- Vehicle fuel type: If you drive a hybrid or electric vehicle, you are entitled to additional insurance savings with The Hartford.
- Options to lower your deductible: With The Hartford’s disappearing deductible, your deductible will decrease every year you don’t have an accident until that number reaches zero. If you get into an accident that’s not your fault, The Hartford will, in most cases, waive your deductible completely. If you are at fault and you get your vehicle repaired at one of The Hartford’s 1,600 authorized repair shops, your deductible will be lowered by $100. These benefits are available with the purchase of The Hartford’s Advantage PLUS program.
Add-on coverage offerings
- Personal injury protection and medical payments coverage: By law, you’re required to purchase a minimum amount of liability coverage, though the exact amount varies by state. If you’re looking for higher coverage limits, these are available as well.
- Classic car coverage: If you own a classic car, The Hartford will work with you to settle on a value. It also offers full coverage including bodily injury liability, property damage liability, physical damage to your car (mandatory for collectible cars), medical payments, uninsured/underinsured motorists and no-fault up to the agreed-upon limit. You can also add optional coverages, like full glass and spare parts, so if something on your classic car breaks down, you can quickly get it repaired.
- Accident forgiveness: If you sign up for The Hartford’s Advantage PLUS program, you get accident forgiveness. This prevents the insurer from increasing your rates after an accident. All drivers on the policy must be accident-free for five years in order to qualify for this service.
- Full glass coverage: If a rock flies up and cracks your windshield, The Hartford will pay for you to get it repaired, and you won’t have to pay a deductible. This type of coverage is optional, so if you want it, you’ll have to pay a little extra on your premium.
- New car replacement: If you total your new car within the first 15 months or 15,000 miles of ownership, The Hartford will replace it with a new vehicle that’s the same make and model as the old one.
- Rescue 1-800: Should you get a flat tire or need your car towed or jumped, Rescue 1-800 coverage will take care of you. However, in order to sign up for this add-on, you must already have comprehensive coverage on your auto policy with Hartford. This is one of Hartford’s most praised add-ons because it’s helped a lot of people who have run into unexpected auto problems.
- Lifetime Car Repair Guarantee: This isn’t exactly what it sounds like, but it’s still a great add-on. Rather than guarantee that Hartford will always repair your car, it guarantees any repairs you get done as long as they’re done at a registered repair shop. Treat your car right and you should be able to get a good deal more life out of it over the years with this personal add-on.
- Rental: If your car is in the shop, you don’t need to beg your neighbor or family members to drive you around for the day. With Rental coverage, as long as your car is being worked on in a repair shop, Hartford will pay for the entire cost of a rental for the duration of repairs. There are various rental coverage options to choose from, so you can choose the option that works best for you.
Other unique features
- Rate Protection: With Rate Protection you can lock in your premium for an entire 12 months. If you’re worried your rates might go up for whatever reason, rate protection keeps them set for a whole year. Exclusions may apply, like if you cause an accident, so talk to a Hartford agent for more information if you’re interested.
- Lifetime renewability: Once you’ve had The Hartford insurance for over 60 days, you qualify for lifetime renewal. As long as you continue to pay your premiums, maintain your driver’s license, and have no convictions for driving while intoxicated, you cannot be refused policy renewal (not available in all states).
- Help with household tasks if injured: The Hartford’s RecoverCare service helps you cover the cost of basic household tasks, like cleaning or mowing the lawn, if an injury prevents you from doing so following an accident. This type of coverage is unique to The Hartford, so if you’re interested, it’s worth getting on the phone and getting a quote.