If you don’t own your home (or no longer do), but you still have plenty of prized possessions, purchasing a renters insurance policy makes sense. This coverage is very affordable nationwide, with average costs of $188 per year according to the Insurance Information Institute (III). However, your coverage could easily save you thousands of dollars if you need to file a claim someday.
Renters insurance from The Hartford is offered in conjunction with AARP, and it comes with the same benefits most renters insurance policies offer. Not only can you get a free quote online, but you can customize your policy to meet your unique needs.
If you’re in the market for renter’s insurance, it’s always best to purchase it sooner rather than later — and definitely before you forget. Keep reading to learn more how renters insurance works when you purchase it from The Hartford, what is included, and how you can save.
The Hartford Renters Insurance: Key Takeaways
- Apply for a free, no obligation quote online.
- Qualify for special discounts on your policy.
- Cover personal belongings such as your clothing, furniture, jewelry, electronics and more.
- Beef up your policy with special add-ons.
Find the Best Renter Insurance
Enter your ZIP code below and be sure to click at least 2-3 companies to find the very best rate.
The Hartford Renters Insurance Review
Buying renter’s insurance is a smart move if you want to protect yourself financially against losses caused by fire or other types of household damage. Fortunately, The Hartford offers inexpensive renters insurance policies, as well as the ability to get a free quote and start your policy online.
Renters insurance from The Hartford and the AARP covers a wide range of personal items and liabilities you may have, including personal property like your appliances, furniture, clothing, and electronics. Your renters insurance policy will also pay for personal liability, medical payments, property damage to others, and your living expenses if you need to find a new place to live.
While the above types of coverage are standard within renters insurance policies from The Hartford, you do have the option to tailor your policy to meet your unique needs. You can pay more for higher liability limits, for example, or boost the total level of coverage you have for personal possessions.
The Hartford also offers several types of “add-on” coverage you can pay for to broaden the scope of your renters insurance policy. Those add-ons include:
- ProtectorPLUS Zero Deductible Benefit: This add-on waives up to $5,000 of your deductible if you experience a loss of $27,500 or more.
- Personal Liability Coverage: This benefit protects you against losses caused by libel or slander
- Replacement Cost Coverage: This coverage replaces your items at their actual replacement cost instead of the actual cost value.
- Earthquake Coverage: This coverage protects your personal possessions in the event of an earthquake.
- Water Backup Coverage: This add-on protects your valuables in the event of a sump pump overflow or water backup.
- Additional Insurance Riders: Also keep in mind that you can add additional insurance riders for valuables you own, such as jewelry or antiques.
How to Get a Quote from The Hartford
Like most other large insurance companies, The Hartford makes it easy to get a free quote for one of their policies online. Keep in mind that, while the average cost of renters insurance is relatively low, the cost of your policy is heavily influenced by where you live, the type of coverage you buy, and even your credit score.
Once you head to the company website, information you’ll need to provide to get a free quote includes:
- Your name
- Address of residence
- Length of time at residence
- Email address
- Phone number
- Housing information, such as the type and size of property
- Past claims
Once you fill out an application with The Hartford, you’ll receive an estimate of your new renter’s insurance policy along with the opportunity to tweak your coverage limits or add on additional coverage. The entire process is easy, and there’s no obligation to move forward with your quote.
The Hartford Renter’s Insurance Discounts
Like other companies that offer renters insurance, The Hartford offers a few different ways to cut down on the cost of your policy if you’re on a tight budget. You can opt out of any additional coverage, for example. You can also accept lower coverage rates overall, provided you think it’s enough to protect yourself and your possessions.
The Hartford also offers a few discounts you can access if you meet their criteria. Those include:
- Multi-policy discounts: Save up to 20% off the cost of your renter’s insurance policy by bundling it with an auto insurance policy.
- 24-hour security credit: Save even more on your policy if your rental building offers 24-hour, in-house security.
- Renewal discounts: The Hartford offers ongoing discounts to customers who renew their policies year after year.
How We Rate The Hartford Renters Insurance
At The Simple Dollar, we aim to provide a general overview of each insurer’s products and services through a standard rating process. With that in mind, we considered policy offerings and overall customer satisfaction using J.D. Power’s 2018 U.S. Renter’s Insurance Study. We also measured financial solvency based on reports from A.M. Best., S&P, and Moody’s.
After a thorough research and discovery period, here’s how The Hartford Renters Insurance stacks up:
|The Hartford Renters Insurance at a Glance|
The Bottom Line
Anyone with enough possessions can benefit from a high-quality renter’s insurance policy, and The Hartford is one of the top companies to consider. Not only are their renter’s insurance policies broad in scope, but you can tailor them to your specific needs and add on additional coverage to protect the items you value the most.
Before you buy a policy, however, we suggest comparing rates from three different companies. See how each of the policies you consider stack up in terms of coverage and cost, then choose the best policy for your needs.