We are an independent, advertising-supported comparison service. Our goal is to help you make smarter financial decisions by providing you with interactive tools and financial calculators, publishing original and objective content, by enabling you to conduct research and compare information for free – so that you can make financial decisions with confidence. The offers that appear on this site are from companies from which TheSimpleDollar.com receives compensation. This compensation may impact how and where products appear on this site including, for example, the order in which they appear. The Simple Dollar does not include all card/financial services companies or all card/financial services offers available in the marketplace. The Simple Dollar has partnerships with issuers including, but not limited to, Capital One, Chase & Discover. View our full advertiser disclosure to learn more.
TD Bank Personal Loans Review
TD Bank Personal Loans: Key Takeaways
- Borrow up to $25,000 with a TD Express Loan.
- Unsecured loans are offered in amounts up to $50,000.
- Lines of credit are offered in amounts up to $50,000.
- Interest rates range from 6.99% APR to 18.99% APR.
- TD Bank loans and lines of credit come with no origination fees or hidden fees.
- A minimum credit score of 660 applies for TD Express Loans.
TD Bank Personal Loans Review
TD Bank offers a wide range of loan and banking options to consumers that live in its East Coast service area. Banking options include checking and savings accounts, home equity loan products, credit cards, and personal loans. TD Bank even offers IRAs and additional investing options to customers who prefer to keep most of their banking with one company.
In terms of their personal loan options, TD Bank offers three main unsecured loan products:
- TD Bank Express Loans let you borrow between $2,000 and $25,000 with a low fixed APR between 6.99% and 18.99%. These loans come with no origination fees or application fees.
- Unsecured Loans let you borrow between $2,000 and $50,000 with a low fixed APR between 6.99% and 18.99%. These loans come with no origination fees and no application fees.
- Unsecured Lines of Credit are available in amounts between $20,000 and $50,000 with variable rates that range between 10.50% and 15.50%. This line of credit comes with no origination fee and no application fee.
TD Bank also offers a secured personal loan product that lets you borrow against your savings. Their secured loan option comes with a low variable rate of 7.92% and you can borrow up to $50,000. A $50 origination fee applies.
For all three types of unsecured loans from TD Bank, you can choose to repay your balance over 12 to 60 months. TD Bank also allows you to apply jointly for an unsecured personal loan, which is a benefit not all banks offer.
The main benefits of TD Bank include the fact they don’t charge origination fees on their personal loans and that their interest rates start at 6.99% APR. We also like the fact consumers can apply online and receive their funds in as little as 48 hours. Also keep in mind that you can get a 0.25% discount on your loan APR if you have a TD Bank checking or savings account and set up automatic payments.
Where TD Bank Personal Loans Come Up Short
The main downside of TD Bank is their limited geographic reach. TD Bank is an East Coast bank with locations that climb the coast from Florida to Maine, but they don’t offer loans nationwide. Also note you have to visit a TD Bank branch to finalize your personal loan paperwork. You can search for a TD Bank location here to see if you live near one within driving distance.
Another potential downside of TD Bank is their minimum credit score requirement. TD Bank states the minimum credit score for their TD Express Loan is 660, which is somewhat higher than some other competing banks. If your credit score is on the lower end, you may have to look for a lender that offers personal loans for bad credit.
Finally, keep in mind that while TD Bank’s rates are very competitive (and even their highest rates are still somewhat reasonable), they don’t offer the very lowest interest rates you can find for personal loans. Borrowers with excellent credit may be able to find unsecured personal loans with an APR in the 5% range if they shop around and compare rates. In addition, they do not make it possible to get pre-qualified for a personal loan without a hard inquiry to your credit report. This makes it difficult to know whether you can qualify — and for how much — unless you’re willing to move forward with a full loan application.
TD Bank Personal Loans Are Best For:
- Consumers who want to borrow up to $50,000 with no origination fee and no application fees.
- Anyone who lives near a TD Bank location who can finalize their loan documents in person.
- Borrowers with good or excellent credit who can qualify for TD Bank’s lowest rates.
How to Apply for a Personal Loan from TD Bank
If you live close enough to a TD Bank branch and believe you have the credit score to qualify for one of their unsecured loan options, your next step is applying for a loan. Fortunately, TD Bank does let you complete your loan application online for unsecured loans. Note: You will have to apply in-branch if you opt for one of their secured loan options.
To apply for a personal loan from TD Bank, you’ll need to submit the following information on your application:
- TD Bank location where you agree to close your loan
- Desired loan amount
- Preferred repayment term between 12 and 60 months
- Address of residence
- Email address
- Phone number
- Social Security number
- Housing expenses
- Employment history
- Income information
Once you submit your loan application, a TD Bank representative will contact you within one business day. They’ll go over the loan you qualified for and discuss your options with you. If you decide to move forward with the loan, you’ll need to visit the physical branch you chose during your application to close on the loan and receive your funds.