Finance of America Mortgage Review
Finance of America at a glance
|Lender||Loan Amount||30-Year Fixed Rate||Products||Key Benefit|
|Finance of America||Not listed*||Not listed*||FHA/VA/USDA Loans |
|Multiple mortgage options for borrowers|
What we like about it
Finance of America offers multiple mortgage options to help clients find their best fit. For example, the company offers FHA loans backed by the Federal Housing Administration and can help you secure a mortgage even if your credit score isn’t great. Other options include reverse mortgages and jumbo loans.
Reverse mortgages are available to borrowers 62 and over, and these mortgages leverage the equity in your existing home to help you pay for a new home, conduct repairs on your existing property or enjoy retirement. Jumbo loans, meanwhile, are for borrowers who need larger loan amounts up to a maximum of $4 million.
When it comes to customer service, Finance of America reviews make it clear that this lender is above-average. Along with positive reviews for the company’s mortgage application process and advisor knowledge, Finance of America ratings are A+ with the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and a score of 4.93 out of 5 across more than 30,000 Social Survey reviews.
Things to consider
If you’re looking for clear data around Finance of America home mortgage rates, fees and APR, you won’t find it on the Finance of America website. While the lender offers a host of FAQs and blog posts about mortgage options, term lengths and rates, it doesn’t include specific details. All applications are handled in-person by advisors in different states, making it difficult to compare Finance of America to other lenders on the market and ensure you’re getting the best mortgage rates available.
It’s also worth noting the company doesn’t have an online account portal or mobile application, meaning buyers will have to rely on more traditional methods of mortgage account management — and speak directly to their advisor if they need to make specific loan adjustments.
What you need to know
If you’re looking for a mortgage, the Finance of America website can help you get started with mortgage, refinancing and affordability calculators. You can also easily locate an advisor in your area, and if you choose to contact the company online, it will answer your inquiry within one business day. Worth noting? There is no online application process for Finance of America mortgages. While you can start the qualification process online, you’ll need to meet with a loan advisor in person to complete your application.
To apply for a Finance of America mortgage, start with the company’s pre-qualification process. If you qualify, you’ll need to set a meeting with a mortgage adviser in-person to assess your current financial situation, available downpayment and total debt ratio.
Collateral and criteria
Finance of America doesn’t post information about required credit scores, collateral or fees. This makes it difficult to predict exactly what the company will approve and what it won’t. This also makes it a challenge to compare its rates and terms online. While some of its loan solutions — such as Jumbo mortgages and USDA loans — include specific location or financing requirements, the company is short on details when it comes to collateral and criteria.
Finance of America alternatives
Finance of America vs. SunTrust Bank
- Much like Finance of America, SunTrust also offers a variety of mortgage options for qualified lenders including 30-year and 15-year fixed, 5-, 7- and 10-year ARMs and jumbo loans. Unlike Finance of America mortgage options, however, SunTrust is more up-front about its rates: The company offers a low rate of 2.875% on a 30-year fixed loan when you have a down payment of 20%.
- Given the abundance of details available directly from SunTrust, it’s often a better choice than Finance of America for homebuyers.
Finance of America vs. Rocket Loans by Quicken
- Rocket Loans by Quicken offer a best possible rate of 4.56% and a minimum down payment of 3%, plus a host of mortgage options including refinance loans, jumbo loans, VA loans, FHA loans and USDA loans. The company also excels in customer service, earning 4/5 stars on the JD Power 2019 U.S. Primary Mortgage Server Satisfaction Study.
- Applying for a Rocket mortgage can happen entirely online. While you can speak with lenders directly, Rocket Loans by Quicken make it easy to complete the application, approval and funding processes virtually.
- If you’re looking for great mortgage options that also require an in-person connection, consider Finance of America. If you prefer more upfront details and the ability to easily apply online, try Rocket Loans by Quicken.
Compare top mortgage lenders
We welcome your feedback on this article and would love to hear about your experience with the mortgage loans we recommend. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with comments or questions.