Wintrust Mortgage Review
Wintrust at a glance
|Lender||Loan Amount||APR Range||Terms||Key Benefit|
|Wintrust||Up to $453,100||Not listed*||1 — 30 years||Flexible terms for loan length|
What we like about it
Wintrust Mortgage offers a wide variety of mortgage products, more than many other lenders. The 1-year and 3-year ARM terms are not frequently found, so borrowers looking for these types of ARMs may want to consider Wintrust Mortgage. Other notable mortgage products Wintrust Mortgage offers include the VA IRRRL, the USDA loan and the FHA 203(k) Limited and Standard loans for both property purchase and subsequent renovations.
For Illinois and Wisconsin homebuyers, Wintrust Mortgage offers down payment assistance through its Cook County Homebuyers Assistance Program and the Federal Home Bank of Chicago Downpayment Plus Program.
Things to consider
Wintrust Mortgage is not transparent about its current mortgage rates or fees online. If you want that information, you’ll have to engage with the lender personally.
According to Better Business Bureau complaints as of June 2020, one of the most common issues with the lender is poor customer service, regarding lack of communication and misinformation provided. If customer service and transparency are important to you when you’re looking for a home loan, you may be better off considering one of J.D. Power’s highly rated mortgage companies instead.
What you need to know
Wintrust Mortgage lends out mortgages up to $453,100 for its jumbo loans. The lender does not disclose its rates online, which is a big downside if you’re looking to compare lenders. Wintrust Mortgage offers home loans for lengths of one to 30 years.
- a contract for the purchase
- your last two W2s and tax returns
- your last two bank statements
- your last 30 days of pay stubs
- business tax returns and K1s for two years if you’re self-employed
- your real estate attorney’s phone number
- your realtor’s phone number
- your insurance agent’s phone number
Once you apply, you’ll have an online account for your mortgage application that you can access with your email. You can check the status of your application online.
Collateral and criteria
To get a mortgage loan with Wintrust, you’ll need to demonstrate good financial standing and credit history. That will require submitting proof of income and assets, as well as undergoing a credit report check.
Typically, you’re required to have a credit score of at least 620 to get most conventional loans with this lender. You may be eligible for an FHA loan with a credit score of at least 580.
Wintrust vs. Citibank
- Citibank also offers online and in-person options for getting a home loan throughout the country, with most of Citibank’s mortgage products overlapping with Wintrust, save for the 1-year ARM and USDA loan. Citibank’s mortgage rates range between 2.75% to 3.25%, and the lender discloses all its fees online, including appraisal, credit report and origination fees.
- Citibank offers its own version of mortgage assistance through its HomeRun Mortgage, requiring just 3% down and no mortgage insurance. You can also get a mortgage discount when you bank with Citibank. Wintrust Mortgage offers no such discount. If you bank with Citibank, getting a mortgage with this lender makes more sense than applying with Wintrust Mortgage.
Wintrust vs. Rocket Mortgage
- If you’re interested in getting a mortgage or refinancing a home through an online platform, Rocket Mortgage through Quicken Loans is an option. Rates ranged between 2.979% to 4.359% APR as of June 2020. The lender provides a similar mortgage product offering to Wintrust.
- The main difference between the lenders is customer satisfaction. Quicken Loans ranked first in the J.D. Power 2019 U.S. Primary Mortgage Servicer Satisfaction Study. If you want to work with the most reputable lender in the business currently, Rocket Mortgage / Quicken Loans is a better option than Wintrust Mortgage.
Compare top mortgage lenders
*Editors note: Unfortunately, we were unable to create a simplescore for this brand because APR’s were not available to the TSD team for consideration.